Purring But Moving Away?

sophiekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sophie will often purr when she sees my hand, or when I pet her in certain places, but when I do pet her she usually moves away? I did make a post about this but I just wanted to add a video to show it too. Is this normal kitten behaviour? Does she dislike me touching her? Is she just not really a cuddly cat? Just feel a bit confused.
Here is the video:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think every cat is an individual and some like to come to you when "they" want love and/or attention not the other way around. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about if she is otherwise healthy. I truly understand that you would like her to interact with you when you pet her but give her time, she's still a kitten full of exploring and frolicking. :cutecat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, gosh, yes. For awhile yet, she is going to be a little flittergibbet...wanting petting one second, then spotting something interesting and scampering off to explore it. She does seem to enjoy your touch, though. I'm betting that as she gets more mature...and I'm talking about months here, so be patient...she will want more and more petting. AND be sure to give her gentle pets when she is drowsy and settling down for a nap, too. That's a prime time for most kittens.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with neely neely . Kittens can be very strong willed and will let you touch them if they want you to. From the video it doesnt look like she doesn't like being touched only that she has something better to do thank you. Keep touching her often for as long as she lets you.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing is that cats and kittens can have strong preferences in where they like to be petted. She clearly isn’t too keen in having her head rubbed but might last longer if you stroked her back.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I saw she likes you :) but she wanted to play. Try petting her when she is sleeping? Right now she is in the crazy kitten zoomie stage. Then the hyper aloof teenager. By a year she should start being more cuddly. You can try my method for petting hyper little kitties. Play for a few minutes, pet for a minute, more play.... repeat. Also if she gets on your lap give her 15 minutes before you get up. Training her to be a lap cat ;)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What everyone else said :) she is a kitten, cant be still for long, for petting or anything else. pet her when she wants it, hands off when she doesnt. When she gets older and out of the kitten stage i bet she enjoyed it more. :purr: