Purple Penis

bearNrocko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! I had an account on here before but I emailed the owner a long time ago and they said I could sign up a new one. I hate not remembering passwords or old email addresses. That account meant a lot to me too because it's where I talked about my Rocko who passed years ago, and the journey he had.

Anyways, for the the last 3 months or so my Bear is a male, has hyperthyroidism, and known chronic UTIs had infection. The vet said he had a purple penis too and that might have been from him licking it because it bothered him so much. Back then I did notice him doing this, but he went back to the vet today and he still has a purple penis. I am at home ALL the time (no life) and I haven't seen him licking his penis like before. The vet said that she didn't want to do a urine test on him but a full blood work up to check on his kidneys. I wasn't there so I couldn't ask this question - is this a sign of kidney failure or something??? Does anyone have experience with this?

He is my baby and the only thing positive I have in my life right now. I understand I am going to lose him one day but please just let's not have that happen now. I am going through anxiety/depression problems and this will just make it worse. I made an earlier appointment with my therapist on Wednesday. I have had him since I was 14. He's been with me fore more than half my life. I can't do this right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bearNrocko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I don't know how to edit my post. I'm really upset right now I meant to say 3 months ago he had a vet checkup. The vet said he had a purple irritated looking penis and he got his urine checked. He had an infection. He went back today and he still has a purple penis.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...we're going very graphic right now...

BOTH of these are "normal," although the second one is a castrated male, and therefore now lacks the "spines." SO...healthy cat penises can be purple. It is the "irritated" thing that you want to know about. Did he mention that?

BTW...you haven't lived until you've spent significant time googling "healthy cat penis images."

bearNrocko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I am so confused. Do you think this vet doesn't know what they are talking about if she thinks there is cause for concerned for a purple penis? The reason why I made this thread is because she was concerned and wanted to do a full blood workup to check on his kidneys. I was wanting to know if these things correlated.

The kind of funny thing though know that I think about it is I am taking my prereqs for nursing school - in my math class we just learned correlation doesn't imply causation.

So I am just going to chill and wait for the results. Any insights other people have would still be appreciated though.

I still think he should have gotten a urinalysis to be on the safe side. I don't like how Bear has a history of UTIs and crystals and didn't want to check.

bearNrocko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg I am so sorry for my retarded sounding posts. I usually submit things then go back and edit. I'll try and remember I can't do that here

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she has been seeing him since he was a kitten, then she would (or should) have some idea of whether or not his penis looks normal now...I think. It's been years since I had a tom, and I'm just not sure how often the vets DO take a peek at it. And if he has a history of issues, all I can say is the sooner you know if there is a problem, the better off BOTH of you are! I'd get him checked.

Don't worry about not being able to edit. You will get an "edit" button after a certain number of posts (which escapes me right now), so the more often you go back and clarify something, the closer you are to being able to edit!

bearNrocko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she has been seeing him since he was a kitten, then she would (or should) have some idea of whether or not his penis looks normal now...I think. It's been years since I had a tom, and I'm just not sure how often the vets DO take a peek at it. And if he has a history of issues, all I can say is the sooner you know if there is a problem, the better off BOTH of you are! I'd get him checked.

Don't worry about not being able to edit. You will get an "edit" button after a certain number of posts (which escapes me right now), so the more often you go back and clarify something, the closer you are to being able to edit!
Thank you for your replies! She is supposed to be calling my mom for the results and I told her to ask the vet to clarify about his penis since some are those colors. She's been seeing him for about 7 years now and honestly I think last time is the first she checked him down there. SO I don't know this is weird. I need to go to his next appointment so I can ask these questions. I never go and just have my mom do it because I'm afraid my anxious self will cause him to be even more anxious. We have this weird bond. When he gets sick, I get sick. It seems like the other way around too. lol

And YAY an edit button. OH how I miss thee.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And YAY an edit button. OH how I miss thee.
Good things come to those who wait post.

As for your anxiety...I'll recommend pretty much the same thing I recommend for anxiety in cats. Drink a cup of chamomile tea, sweetened with honey if you like sweet (chamomile does not play well with sugar) about half an hour before leaving for the vet's office. It is gently calming without sedating. And make a list of your questions as you think of them. The night before the appointment, you can go back and organize them, if you want. That will help you stay focused.