Purple/black ring around base of cats paw pad

Kelj78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently noticed my cat lifting up her paw while sitting upright. Upon examination I noticed a deep purple ring around the base of the paw pad (similar to how water damage looks on walls), along with black waxy stuff and a mild stinky odor (kinda like how a belly button stinks when not properly washed lol gross I know). But she isn’t limping, the pad isn’t swollen or inflamed either. She still runs and plays. I’ve considered a possible yeast infection but after scouring the internet and viewing other peoples posts whose cat appears to have the same thing there doesn’t seem to be an actual diagnosis. Any thoughts? The vet appointment is still a week away.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It kind of sounds like pillow foot (plasma cell pododermatitis) or a form of eosinophilic granuloma, maybe. How many pads are affected and exactly which one(s)? Not all cases of either condition have to involve swelling or inflammation, particularly at the onset, but I have heard where pillow foot can present with a paw pad appearing purple/violet in coloring. Either is likely to require antibiotics and/or steroids from what I know.

I would take routine pics of it for comparison's sake while you wait for the appt. If anything like inflammation/ulceration appears, you should call the vet at that time and let them know. If she does go outside, I would probably refrain from letting her do so until she can be checked out by the vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It might be a fungus if not the above, but the fact that there is a slight off putting smell worries me a little bit. Did you tell the Vet's office that fact? If not, I definitely would, as that can indicate infection, or could it actually be something she has gotten into? Have you tried cleaning it to see what happens? I know it might be difficult, but see if you can soak it in a mild saline solution or even some chamomile tea made from tea bags and cooled.

kaycee29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Did you ever get any answers? My kitten has same exact issue and vet has no idea what it is