Purina One Kitten Ok?

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I just adopted a 10 week old kitten who was found abandoned and alone. He was living with a foster mom who was free feeding him Purina kitten chow only. I purchased Purina One kitten because it got really good reviews on Chewy . I understand the Purina products are generally thought of as inferior, however I am on a budget. I also feed him Fancy Feast kitten food one can per day split into two portions. I have been told that I should free feed dry as well since I'm at work all day. I can't afford most of the grain free dry Foods. It seems to me a lot of it higher line Foods that are not grain-free just replace the corn with potatoes, rice or peas Etc. So what difference does it make ? I also have an adult cat to consider. I feed her Nutrisource grain-free and she loves it and is doing well on it. However the kitten does not like the Nutrisource. I contacted Nutrisource and they said the country select is good for all life stages but kitten kind of picks over it. And frankly I can't afford to just leave a bunch of Nutrisource out if he's not going to really eat it and my adult cat will eat it all and gain weight. She at the top of her weight per our vet. Keeping food in separate areas is not an option . I do not want to change my adult cat from Nutrisource. I'm kind of concerned about leaving down a bunch of kitten food because I know adult cat will want it but I guess that's just part of adopting a kitten when you have an adult cat. Anyway I can afford the Purina One but I have not opened the bag after I read the ingredients and all the comments online. It's been 20 years since I've had a kitten. Back then we didn't worry about grain free and all that and I've had cats to live to be 19 years old but come to think of it she didn't eat dry food but my other Kitty live to be 15 and she ate a combination of Fancy Feast and some of the Purina varieties. Sorry for the long post; I guess my question is is Purina One kitten really that bad? Any suggestions for an affordable dry food that I can free feed for the kitten? He ate like a horse when I first brought him home! He had to compete with six other cats for food, three of which were adults. I think the Purina One is at least a step up from Kitten Chow. Thank you

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can catch flak for saying this, but Purina ONE kitten has worked well for me. Most of my cats are ferals and have survived terrible kitten diseases; they are from different colonies so it isn't just genetics working in their favor (some are from dumped cats, not just multigenerational ferals). Some of them do get symptomatic at various times but all in all, they do fine with Purina ONE kitten and Purina Cat Chow Naturals.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you wanna stick with purina cus the kitty likes it I would at least try the purina beyond chicken and egg and the purina proplan true nature kitten. Won’t have as much crummy grain ingredients that cats don’t need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I havnt tried the Purina yet. I didn't open the bag once I read the ingredients and saw the reviews. He does like the Rachael Ray kibble but that's for adult cats. I will try the Pro Plan or Beyond. I just wondered if people had other suggestions . I really don't care for Purina products but cats seem to like it and it's affordable. The grain-free options are so expensive a lot of them have cage free chicken. I don't eat cage free chicken myself! I don't mind spending a few extra dollars but I don't want to spend $20 for six or seven pounds of food. Thanks

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most biologically correct dry foods are going to be that price unfortunately. I usually recommend tiki, nature’s variety, and dr elseys. But they’re all pricey.
Most mid line grain free foods are loaded with peas or potatoes. There’s only 4-5 really quality kibbles on the market. At the end of the day wet foods are going to be better regardless of how you look at it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Purina ONE kitten food and have had a lot of success with it. It's not top quality but it's fine---it has meat as the first ingredient and no artificial coloring. Especially when fed along with a decent amount of wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank u. I called my vet yesterday and he said it was fine. This boy cat can eat!!