Purebreds have weaker immune systems?

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What?!?!

Backstory: My Aby kitten was at the emergency vet all night Thursday and my regular vet all day yesterday. She was lethargic, not eating or drinking, not using the litter box and I could tell she felt bad. Thursday at the e-vet her temp was 106.8, very, very high and they could not find a cause. She got fluids, an abx shot, X-rays and a fecal. I picked her up in the am to take her to my regular vet and he repeated those test plus a blood panel checking for FIV, FIP, distemper, toxoplasmosis, FLeV and one other virus. He also put her on clindamycin as a precaution bc her blood work won't come back until Monday. She's doing a bit better today but I'm nervous for Monday.

So during our conversations, he said purebred animals have weaker immune systems due to being "highly bred" and the limited gene pool. I was too upset to even ask him what highly bred means. He did say that moggies or randomly bred cats have what's called hybrid vigor that makes them healthier, stronger and less susceptible to common illnesses that a purebred would have more trouble fighting off.

He kind of offended me when he said making the decision to own a purebred often means you'll be dealing with a more fragile cat who gets sick more often. WHAT??? I've never heard that and I did months of research on breeds and breeders. I got the impression that he doesn't like purebreds, which is fine, it's his opinion, but is that really true? I love this vet, he literally held my hand during the worst of Willow's CRF and he went above and beyond for her many times. But if he's going to "blame" me or my kitten for being an Aby, then ill have to move along, ya know?

I don't want this to turn into a purebred vs mixed breed fight; I have both and I love both, neither is better than the other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh! And of course her spay scheduled for Friday has to be postponed. They don't want to operate on an ill cat, which I understand, but UGH!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well bred cats are very healthy, many vets are against breeding or see byb bred animals, I wouldn't put much stock in their comments

Breeders keep track of the ICC%, which no one monitors in moggies since they don't know the cats family tree, records also aren't kept of how healthy or unhealthy moggies are

I wouldn't expect a too balanced thread since majority don't own pedigree cats from reputable breeders or breed themselves

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And many moggies are often highly inbred because they are allowed to breed unsupervised outdoors with their daughters/sisters/brothers/fathers and that can go on for decades specially in rural areas/farms where cat colonies aren't spayed or neutered. And on this site we have heard of accidental matings between indoor cats who are siblings, so it's not just outdoor cats.