Pure Bites Freeze Dried Treats

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since Pure Bites are only 1 ingredient, does it matter if you feed the dog or cat variety to your pet? One of my boys is picky about his wet food, so I sprinkle the freeze dried duck liver over his food if he hasn't eaten much, then he gobbles it down. But I just did the math, and on Chewy, the Pure Bites dog treats are, on average, nearly $1.50 cheaper per oz than the cat treats. I'm assuming they're the same ingredients, just larger chunks for the dogs, and since I crush the treats anyway size isn't an issue for my cat. Can I just buy the dog treats instead? Or is there a reason I should be buying the more expensive cat packets instead?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would imagine it's fine to use the dog ones as treats, although I have never done so myself. I'm not really sure what the difference would be. I think you're right that the main difference is probably size.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always suggest the dog ones to cat owners. I have a woman that comes into my store with the high grade Savannah cats who love the pure bites chicken and she started out just buying the expensive cat purebites and I showed her the 30$ big bags in dog and now she comes much less often where as she was buying the tiny 6$ bags every few days. They’re single ingredient so it shouldn’t matter. Especially as a treat. My cat loves bil jac liver treats as weird as that sounds lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I figured that was the case, but I just wanted confirmation from someone else. Good to know of another way to save money!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is actually a really good idea I hadn't thought of.. but I'm going to purchase dog treats from now on :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only buy the ones for dogs. They are exactly the same except for the size. I crush them and use them as a topper for wet food. You can buy the big bag on Amazon through the subscribe and save program and it's a much better deal than the pet stores.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only buy the ones for dogs. They are exactly the same except for the size. I crush them and use them as a topper for wet food. You can buy the big bag on Amazon through the subscribe and save program and it's a much better deal than the pet stores.
I do the exact same thing.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats-only vet sells chicken Pure Bites for dogs at her office because they're so much cheaper per ounce than the bags labelled for cats. Like Kat0121 Kat0121 , I mostly use them crushed, as toppers, so size doesn't matter!

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got my packet of PureBites from a KitNip box (the first one was 15% off so I thought I'd try it out) but now it's almost empty. It's been almost 2 months since I only use a tiny bit to top the food, but now that I'm looking to buy more I saw how expensive it really was! I'm really glad that the dog-branded ones are just as viable as the cat-branded ones. Always looking for ways to save money! Rent is already over 50% of my monthly budget, so I tend to be pretty frugal when it comes to cat supplies. But PureBites are pretty much a necessity for my picky cat.

That being said, are there any cheaper freeze-dried options?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Head to the pet store and look at the freeze dried treat options. Check both the dog treat aisle and the cat treat aisle. Sometime treats for both dogs and cats are only found in the dog treat aisle. I'm not sure what brand is cheaper than PureBites :think: Buying the larger dog treats insead of the teeny bag of cat treats is one wayto save money. You can look through this thread for brands of freeze dried treats and then shop around for the best price: What treats do you feed your cat?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EmmiTemmi EmmiTemmi : the happy news is that a dog-labelled bag of Pure Bites will last a very long time (months) even if you have a picky cat that demands crumbled Pure Bites on top of nearly every meal like one of our cats does. I figure it's cheaper to give her the Pure Bites than to throw away the food! (At this point, she's figured out how to milk this for all it's worth to get treats on most of her meals...)

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At this point, she's figured out how to milk this for all it's worth to get treats on most of her meals...
I hear you. If I put down canned food without the PureBites sprinkled on top, my boy will look up at me like 'wtf, this isn't my food' until I add some on top! (Unless it's a higher quality canned food, then he doesn't care if there are toppings)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you. If I put down canned food without the PureBites sprinkled on top, my boy will look up at me like 'wtf, this isn't my food' until I add some on top! (Unless it's a higher quality canned food, then he doesn't care if there are toppings)
Yes, it's that wtf look that kills, isn't it?! I call it the same thing...

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I buy the dog version since it's bigger and I feel like I get more for my buck. And I do add a sprinkle of purebites on the wet food but only sometimes. I don't want my cat to always expect toppers. I must say that brand is really super great when it comes to bribing your cat to take their medicine.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since Pure Bites are only 1 ingredient, does it matter if you feed the dog or cat variety to your pet? One of my boys is picky about his wet food, so I sprinkle the freeze dried duck liver over his food if he hasn't eaten much, then he gobbles it down. But I just did the math, and on Chewy, the Pure Bites dog treats are, on average, nearly $1.50 cheaper per oz than the cat treats. I'm assuming they're the same ingredients, just larger chunks for the dogs, and since I crush the treats anyway size isn't an issue for my cat. Can I just buy the dog treats instead? Or is there a reason I should be buying the more expensive cat packets instead?
I always get the dog ones and just make them smallet. They are too expensive! And I get a discount because I work at an animal hospital and get them through our supplier. I do wish my work would sell them. So much better than the overprocessed treats.

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give them the dog ones too. I put them in my magic bullet to grind it up and I sprinkle it on their food.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear the dog ones are okay for cats too. I figured that was the case, but as a new cat owner, I wanted to be sure. One of my cats will only finish his food if I sprinkle on PureBites halfway though his meal. I've been thinking of filling an old spice container (that has been thoroughly cleaned out) with crushed up PureBites so I can easily sprinkle it on his food whenever he turns up his nose.