Puppy Cat Growling at my Cat / Are is my cat fianlly accepting my dog?

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've got a 1 year old tortie (Sandi) and we hubby and I recently (3 weeks ago) brought home a 9 week old male mini aussie (Axel Rose)

And at first Sandi wanted nothing to do with him and would growl/hiss/swat at him whenever he went near her. At first he would just wander away

now he'll bark back at her, and sometimes growl at her, though not the same puppy growl he does with us when playing, but a growl just like hers

1. She still will swat at him, but it more of a "bop" on the head than anything else (it doesn't look like her claws are out when she does this, so is it playing?)

2. Sometimes they play chase, its more of him chasing her to the baby gate which she easily clears leaving him behind(and she usually just sits on the other side of the gate), he'll whine for about 10 seconds then wander back into the main room and about 5 minutes later she'll return. (am i correct in thinking she enjoys being chased since she returns so quickly?)

3. We put her food in a window where we leave the blinds up so she can eat it without worrying about him eating it, and she has a water dish that only she can access, but she prefers his water dish. (Why?)

4. She also will do her whole "where are you" meow when he's the only member of the household not in the main room. (Does this mean she wants to play with him?)

5. She will finally sit on the same lap as the puppy and will sleep in my husband and I's bed again, which initally she wasnt doing with Axel in our bathroom. (Is that a good sign?)

So all in all, does it seem like my cat is finally accepting the new member of the family?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All in all, everything you have described sounds perfectly normal. I think it's going really well for only 3 weeks. I'm happy to hear you are giving her her own space to eat and had that gate up, I bet she LOVES leaving him on the other side. I'm sure she rather enjoys all the action around there now!