Pumpkin

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, it looks like there's some benefit to feeding your cat pumpkin. I would like to get some foods with pumpkin in it. I would like to have them around to use when needed, but also as an occasional part of the food rotation.

:redcat:

Your thoughts on this?

Is there anything I need to be aware of about feeding pumpkin to a kitten?

Which foods that contain pumpkin would you recommend? Preferably, no fish.

Thank you!

:cutecat:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think cats need pumpkin on a regular basis. It can be helpful sometimes if your cat has diarrhea or constipation because it provides some soluble fiber. But personally it didn’t help with my kitten’s soft poops at all. My vet who is quite well informed on nutrition also told me to not go overboard with pumpkin because cats don’t really need it in their diet and the benefits are actually not fully understood.

You can still try using it if your cat is having bowel problems though. Just buy some plain canned pumpkin from the grocery store. Mix maybe a teaspoon with your cat’s food to begin with to make sure they don’t have any adverse reactions. And if it helps make their bowels healthier then maybe give it to them once a day for a few days. I wouldn’t be looking to make it a regular thing in my cat’s diet though.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't used it regularly for my cats, either, but it sure worked with a couple of cats who had diarrhea problems. Some of the Soulistic canned foods have pumpkin in them. As Neo_23 Neo_23 mentioned, though, you can give them just straight canned pumpkin mixed in their food. My cats didn't mind the taste at all. I froze it in about 2 tsp. amounts in ice cube trays so it wouldn't go to waste.

I seem to recall a member here on TCS saying their cat really liked the taste of pumpkin and would lick it from a spoon.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Soulistic has some foods with pumpkin mixed in. I've used it when one was having some poop problems and there were no objections from the furry children. I also have a few pouches of pumpkin puree from Soulistic on hand to mix in if needed. You can do just plain pumpkin puree from any human store of course (no spices and not pie filling). I just like the convenience of having it already mixed in or the pouches veing watered down and small portions. Easier for me then keeping a can, watering it down and then the can goes bad. But totally a personal preference.

Frequency, agree with above that it's an as needed fiber boost. A lot of cats won't ever need it. Some may want it. It isn't harmful but it doesnt do much but add some fiber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks everyone! Only as needed, got it! I'll make sure to get a few cans or pouches to make sure I have some on hand whenever it's needed.

:cutecat:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure to buy canned 100% pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. Libby's is one popular brand.

Other brands are just fine as long as they are 100% pumpkin. I recently bought a generic store brand for about $1 in the same sized can as the slightly more expensive Libby's. You can portion the can out into small containers or ice cube trays and freeze for later use. Pop the frozen cubes into a freeze bag for easier storage in the freezer.

You could buy 1 oz pouches of Weruva's Pumpkin Patch Up or Soulistic's Pumpkin Puree from the pet store but for the same price or less, you can buy a 15 oz can of the exact same ingredient from the supermarket. There's nothing in either Weruva or Soulistic product that makes it special just for pets.

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure to buy canned 100% pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. Libby's is one popular brand.

Other brands are just fine as long as they are 100% pumpkin. I recently bought a generic store brand for about $1 in the same sized can as the slightly more expensive Libby's. You can portion the can out into small containers or ice cube trays and freeze for later use. Pop the frozen cubes into a freeze bag for easier storage in the freezer.

You could buy 1 oz pouches of Weruva's Pumpkin Patch Up or Soulistic's Pumpkin Puree from the pet store but for the same price or less, you can buy a 15 oz can of the exact same ingredient from the supermarket. There's nothing in either Weruva or Soulistic product that makes it special just for pets.
Thank you! Will the pumpkin last indefinitely frozen in cubes?...

Well, maybe not indefinitely, but how long do you think it would last?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! Will the pumpkin last indefinitely frozen in cubes?...

Well, maybe not indefinitely, but how long do you think it would last?
It will last quite a while. I have small novelty ice cube trays and I use those. My cats love pumpkin. They love the Harvest Sunrise food from Soulistic. It's the Good Karma shredded chicken in a broth like gravy with bits of pumpkin. Both of my girls will just lick the pumpkin puree off a spoon though. :yummy:

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's also Nummy Tum-Tum Pure Organic Pumpkin which most pet stores (at least in my area) sell. I also second the recommendation of Soulistic pouches/cans. I've only ever had to use it twice on my cat, and he really liked it.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat wouldn't go for the plain Libby's pumpkin (which my dog will devour,) when he was having funny issues. I got the Weruva Pumpkin Patch-Up purée to mix in his food, but he licked it right up! The pouches are nice because they're single-serve and store easily.
The effects of the pumpkin on my cat were less pronounced than with my dog, but I still think it helped quite a bit.

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we're going to try the different things suggested in this thread. I like the idea of having the pouches for convenience, and maybe get the plain pumpkin cans for back-up.

Thanks everyone! :purr: