Pumpkin

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet wants me to add fiber to my kitten's food. I've decided to use pumpkin mixed in with his soft food. My other kitten will get it as well since I prep their food at the same time. My question is, how much pumpkin should I add a day? My kittens are 18 and 11 weeks old, 6.8 lbs and 4.2 lbs respectively.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Many people use pumpkin (canned – plain….not pumpkin pie filling with added sugar and spices) but some cats do not like it. I prefer guar gum because it is more convenient and is not an unnecessary source of carbohydrates for our carnivores. It lasts forever (it is not perishable) and most cats readily eat it when mixed into their food. If you want to try pumpkin, use 1/2 – 1 teaspoon 2-3 times per day mixed into their food. Some people freeze the pumpkin in ice cube trays for convenience."
catinfo.org

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! He eats the pumpkin just fine I just wasn't sure how much to give. I was giving way too much. lol

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you recommend adding pumpkin to your cat's diet even if they don't have any digestive issues? Maybe once in a while?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would, if it's once in a while. In fact I give it to my cat at least once a month/ever two months mixed in with either his canned food or a treat (like grounded up PureBites or Ciao fillets/churros, the latter is what I would consider an unhealthy treat). I don't believe pumpkin can hurt your cat unless it becomes more than 3% of your cat's diet.