Pumpkin my tabby?

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever since I got my cat pumpkin, I've always thought that he was a tabby, but i know tabby is a very loose term and there are different types of the fur pattern. I'm wondering which type he is. He's orange and white, his belly being almost all white and his head and butt being orange. His fur is medium length, he sheds a lot and is very soft.
His personality is shy, he doesn't like other people and will often hide, but when alone with me he will play ball or be curious enough to take a step outside.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I was just posting as you got your first response! Anyway, I think your cat would be considered a domestic short hair (DSH) bi-colored tabby (white and orange, which the orange is officially labeled as red). I am saying tabby as I think I see the "M" marking on his forehead, and as far as I know tabbies can appear with any kind of coloring or pattern. If there is truly no "M", then he would be a DSH bi-color. Technically cats are considered either short or long haired. So, in the case of one that is kind of 'in-between, it would be considered short haired. He is so adorable!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very handsome! Love his bright coloring :)

I would describe him as a red tabby and white domestic shorthair. Red is the term we use in the cat fancy for orange / ginger. His tabby pattern appears to be either spotted, or broken mackerel (stripes broken up into spots). Most cats are not any particular breed.

All red (orange / ginger) cats have a tabby pattern of some sort, since the non-agouti gene that is responsible for solid colored cats doesn't work on red pigment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I was just posting as you got your first response! Anyway, I think your cat would be considered a domestic short hair (DSH) bi-colored tabby (white and orange, which the orange is officially labeled as red). I am saying tabby as I think I see the "M" marking on his forehead, and as far as I know tabbies can appear with any kind of coloring or pattern. If there is truly no "M", then he would be a DSH bi-color. Technically cats are considered either short or long haired. So, in the case of one that is kind of 'in-between, it would be considered short haired. He is so adorable!!
Thank you! The reason why I thought he was a tabby in the first place was because of his M mark on his forehead, also when he was younger he had stripes and spots but not as much anymore, he's about 10 years old now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's very handsome! Love his bright coloring :)

I would describe him as a red tabby and white domestic shorthair. Red is the term we use in the cat fancy for orange / ginger. His tabby pattern appears to be either spotted, or broken mackerel (stripes broken up into spots). Most cats are not any particular breed.

All red (orange / ginger) cats have a tabby pattern of some sort, since the non-agouti gene that is responsible for solid colored cats doesn't work on red pigment.
When he was younger he did have both stripes and spots, but they have faded out more, I think he has more stripes than spots, so he could be a broken mackerel. I'm also guessing that the red term used for his orange is similar when people use the term blue for grey cats.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Id say tabby yes, he does have the stripes on the side of the mouth and on his tail. I do see the M, he has stripes on his face and in between his ears. Just with his orange coloring it hides it. I do think he might just be a fluffier short hair and not a medium hair though. Medium hairs have fluffy tails.