PU Surgery Recovery

Barbiikitteh

Helicopter Cat Mom Needs Sleep
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I'm Barb and my sweet boy Nubbins just had his PU Surgery Tuesday Feb, 13 2024. We're 5 days in recovery and like most of you who've gone through this surgery with your babies, I to am totally sleep deprived, on the verge of a panic attack all the time it seems. Him and I have basically moved into our spareroom. No bed just his large octagon kennel a desk and my new bed the couch. He just had his first poo since this began last Sunday, so it's been a week and exactly what I feared would happen, happened. So much blood and of course it felt weird for him so he tried to do that booty scoot, he got 1 scoot in and I guess my panic yelling "STOP" finally caught his attention and he stopped. I know we're told not to touch the area but that was a lot of blood so I grabbed a soft tissue and when he went to sit down I slid the tissue under so it would absorb some of the blood. I swear I can not ever go though this again, no more boy cats, my heart can't handle it. It's a lot, it really is and I have 3 girls I still need to take care of in the other side of our door. One who is a 19yo diabetic who I glucose test 2x a day and insulin 2x a day. Oh and she's on a special diet as well 🤦🏼‍♀️ Anyway, in general I think his incision looks great, he's eating, drinking and using the potty. All I know is he has to ace this recovery because I'm on disability and for his ER stay and surgery I am so in debt and wouldn't be able to afford another ER visit. I'm given a lot of hope reading some of your success stories, I really hope one day I'll be able to help others by sharing Nubbins success story. I'll include a couple pics of Nubbins and of his site. Thanks everyone for listening, this is just really really hard.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barbiikitteh

Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Are you in contact with his vet?
If you aren't already will you be switching him to canned food?

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite
Yes the dr that did the surgery I mentioned this to him before he did the surgery, that he hadn't pooed since the blockage and he's a big boy with big poops and he said it's the last thing he's worried about. I on the other hand was very worried. He's in Hills CD dry & canned. He's a good drinker but I know from experience having a bowel movement after surgery and pain meds is no fun. The bleeding stopped right away, thank goodness. I just wish they'd be honest before doing the surgery and let us know "this is going to be hard" I was already shocked they sent him home 4 hours after, I thought for sure he'd spend at least 1 night

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
PU surgery is a fairly frequent topic here on TCS.

Post PU Surgery Worries
This is a recent thread which is still active

Search Results for Query: PU surgery
These are TCS threads about PU surgeries.

Nubbins may have a very smooth recovery, so don't anticipate that you will have difficulty going forward. Stay in touch with your vet though. If for no other reason, you paid a fortune for this and the follow up should include phone calls, emails, or whatever means of communication they use.
Anyway, in general I think his incision looks great, he's eating, drinking and using the potty.
All of this is a very good sign. Please keep us posted as to how Nubbins is doing.

Barbiikitteh

Kitten
Purraise
I'm a little concerned about Nubbins, the day he had his surgery and we picked him up they gave me paper work about everything to expect at home, I really wish he'd have stayed at least one night but he was home that evening. The paper work says bloody urine for 12-24 hours after surgery, it's day six and he is using the box minimum 3x a day maybe 4 but every time when he's done and gets out he leaves a bloody little butt stamp (including a photo from this morning on the blanket. Also yesterday he pooped for the first time in 6 days and, in my opinion, there was a lot of blood. I know we're not to touch the area, no washing, wiping dabbing or anything so I let him sit on a couple tissues I laid flat on my hand. I needed to make sure no stitches popped. Though it scared me to death, it was a one and done type thing. Once he sat on the tissue no more blood, so to me that's a win but seriously they need to send meds home for the kitty moms and dad's too. It's a lot.... A Lot, so much anxiousness. I'm also including the icky tissue pics so if your squeamish I'm very sorry. I do take a daily morning Pic of his surgical site to make sure it's not looking red, angry or infected and I think though it looks painful it does look like it's healing. I do have a call out to his surgeon with a text including all the same pics but I'm still waiting to hear back. I'm hoping maybe towards end of day, if not by 5pm I'll call them back.

Thanks for listening, I really can't wait to be on the other end of this. He is on Hills CD dry and wet but for now mainly wet, also filtered water with Tuna juice just to temp him to drink drink drink.

Attachments

Barbiikitteh

Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Honestly, you have spent allot on the surgery and follow up should be included. I would call the vet that did the surgery.
I did, I called and texted Friday but they never got back to me and I've got a call out today as well and the front desk said they're in surgery and once they're done someone will get back to me. If I don't hear anything by 430pm I'm going to call back

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Stay on top of this with the vet. As two of us have said, you paid a lot of money for this surgery and follow up should be included. I know that this is very stressful for both of you. The note mentions bloody urine...well, there is blood so that is enough for a return call. You cannot be placed in a position to make a determination as to how much of this might be post op and how much might need medical attention.

Barbiikitteh

Kitten
Purraise
Well one of the surgical team members called me back at 230'ish pm, asked for a couple better pics because she said the one was too dark, I sent them to her. She said she'd have the dr who did the surgery go over them when he was free and she'd call me back, it's 7pm, they closed at 530pm. I'm so confused, I'm not being rude, I'm not calling more constantly, actually today was the first time I called. They asked me to send a daily incision Pic via text and I have. I know I'm probably worrying over nothing but he's my baby. He's eating, he's drinking, he's using the potty a few times a day. He pooped yesterday, that in itself was whew so scary but we made it through. Hopefully they'll call in the morning and just got caught up in an emergency or something. Thank you guys so much for your support it really means a lot. I'm going to include 2 Nubbins Booty pics I sent from this afternoon. I think what may be happening, maybe, is because we're just 6 days out, he may be leaking we wee bit and there may be some dried blood that's getting moist. If you zoom in on the bottom pic you can see it's damp.

20240219_145405.jpg
20240219_145246.jpg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know it is frustrating. Sometimes calls work better than text or email. It’s harder to ignore. From working at vet hospitals, I know that the first things felt with are what is right in front of the staff so to speak. When busy, the things overlooked are emails and texts and callbacks.

I am not a vet, but I do think the incision looks good.

Kira85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The incision looks pretty good to me. When my cat had PU Surgery done I was constantly on edge and got myself into panic mode on numerous occasions. He had it done back in November and if I remember correctly, he leaked wee for almost three weeks and my vet said that was normal. He’s all good now and when he pees, it sounds like a fire hose! :)

Good luck with your journey, it sounds like you are being the perfect cat mom!

Barbiikitteh

Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I know it is frustrating. Sometimes calls work better than text or email. It’s harder to ignore. From working at vet hospitals, I know that the first things felt with are what is right in front of the staff so to speak. When busy, the things overlooked are emails and texts and callbacks.

I am not a vet, but I do think the incision looks good.
Thank you so much, honestly I think it does too. I wear my heart on my sleeve and when I love, I love blindly and so big. Even though I can see it looks good every fiber in my body is on such high alert. Then the anxiety kicks in. Also I just lost my soul cat in 2022 who also had urinary problems, I think this has me a bit on edge. I did call and I spoke with someone on the surgical team, and they were gonna talk to the dr and get back to me. I'm sure they'll call back tomorrow

Barbiikitteh

Kitten
Purraise
The incision looks pretty good to me. When my cat had PU Surgery done I was constantly on edge and got myself into panic mode on numerous occasions. He had it done back in November and if I remember correctly, he leaked wee for almost three weeks and my vet said that was normal. He’s all good now and when he pees, it sounds like a fire hose! :)

Good luck with your journey, it sounds like you are being the perfect cat mom!
Thank you so much, I'm sure the lack of sleep isn't helping. I have to watch this little stinker like a hawk because once that gabapentin wears off he's a pro at making the cones and collars come off too 😂

Barbiikitteh

Kitten
Purraise
We have our 2 week checkup Tuesday 2/27. I can tell he's feeling better but I think his last 💩 may have loosened a couple stitches. He is a big boy, 17lbs of muscle and very tall so his poops are very big too. I'm not very confident his stitches will come out Tuesday and I hope they sedate him if they mess with that area because he's protective of it.