Psyllium And Diarrhea

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our orange boy (14+ yrs) had been doing fantastic on canned food and pumpkin. Then he threw up a lot. Don't really know why. Got that taken care of. Now he won't eat the food with pumpkin in it and he is back to diarrhea. The vet suggested some dry food with psyllium in it but he wouldn't eat that.

So I want to mix it in his wet food. Since he is diarrhetic should I add less water? So far he has only had "pudding" poo. Any other suggestions?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saccharomyces Boulardii! It is a yeast probiotic that can be found in any vitamin store or online. It is used in people for "travellers' diarrhea". It is also very useful in cats and dogs too.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

My Krista loves the recommended Jarrow brand that has a prebiotic called MOS. She had (still has?) a clostridium infection and it took 1/2 capsule four times a day to get her stools firmed back up. Fortunately, it's her new favorite topper.

S. boulardii has a wide margin for safety. If it's not making it worse and he likes the stuff like my Krista does, then give him more if you need to.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, with the smidgen-pinch-dash spoons, 1/2 capsule is a "pinch" or 1/16 tsp.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Reckia.

Rather than add in a whole new factor, I would just go ahead and try the psyllium in the wet food as a (at least, temporary) replacement for the pumpkin. It's not the same type of fiber, but it might just firm up the stool by absorbing some water.

I'd start with a tiny amount and slowly increase until I got the desired effect.

I wouldn't be reducing the water in his food, though.

Now, psyllium won't do anything for his gut bacteria, so maybe consider a different fiber source as a permanent alternative to the pumpkin. Here's a reliable read on that: Fibers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The psyllium wasn't working. I was using 6 capsules a meal and still only wet pudding. I put him on the Saccharomyces Boulardii and he had perfect poo at 2 am. Then it turned back into pudding so I will be working on the dosage. At least it worked once which is more than what he was doing before!

Thank you so much for the advice!!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The psyllium wasn't working. I was using 6 capsules a meal and still only wet pudding. I put him on the Saccharomyces Boulardii and he had perfect poo at 2 am. Then it turned back into pudding so I will be working on the dosage. At least it worked once which is more than what he was doing before!

Thank you so much for the advice!!!
I was giving Krista 1/2 capsule (2.5 bln CFU) four times a day with food. The owner of a raw feeder co-op said to me, “where you’re at, it probably can’t get worse. But you’ll know if you give too much and you’ll know if don’t give enough.” I’m lucky that Krista likes the stuff.

Another thing that would help is switching him to blander food since it’s just ripping through him now. Poach some chicken or turkey and offer that. Meat alone is not nutritionally complete. But neither is his food when it runs through him that quickly. Stabilize his gut first with bland food and the s. boulardii. Then you can reintroduce his food again. Or pick up a premix like EZ Complete or Alnutrin to balance the meat and make it compete.

Krista is getting a mix of raw, Rawz, and meat stock. Occasionally I give her “turkey sashimi” (just the raw meat sliced small enough for my nearly toothless cat) or slow cooker turkey off the bone from the meaty bones that make the meat stock.

Her poops are raw perfect. Half cigars of nearly no odor. :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was giving Krista 1/2 capsule (2.5 bln CFU) four times a day with food. The owner of a raw feeder co-op said to me, “where you’re at, it probably can’t get worse. But you’ll know if you give too much and you’ll know if don’t give enough.” I’m lucky that Krista likes the stuff.

Another thing that would help is switching him to blander food since it’s just ripping through him now. Poach some chicken or turkey and offer that. Meat alone is not nutritionally complete. But neither is his food when it runs through him that quickly. Stabilize his gut first with bland food and the s. boulardii. Then you can reintroduce his food again. Or pick up a premix like EZ Complete or Alnutrin to balance the meat and make it compete.

Krista is getting a mix of raw, Rawz, and meat stock. Occasionally I give her “turkey sashimi” (just the raw meat sliced small enough for my nearly toothless cat) or slow cooker turkey off the bone from the meaty bones that make the meat stock.

Her poops are raw perfect. Half cigars of nearly no odor. :)
And yet I still bolt out of bed in the middle of the night when I hear her in the litter box in case she’s got a soft one. The first one, she always puts in a box. If she requires another trip, it’s going on the carpet unless I can catch her in time and chase her back to the boxes.

I still don’t trust her recovery yet.

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Yana always goes right next to the box. We don't have carpeting so that's no problem. We have a hand towel next to the box so that he can "dig and cover". He has 2 regular poohs now. I think I was killing the microbs because I was mixing a capsule with his food and then putting half in the frig to give to him later. I reread your post and noticed that you sprinkle it on top, so now I am doing that also and his diarrhea has cleared up!

Where do you get EZ Complete or Alnutrin? My vet had told me not to give him any chicken, but last night I boiled some, put the stuff on it and he is doing fine with it so far. He is also on Flagl daily and Prednisone 3x a week. Yes, I also get up at 2 am! Sigh. At least I am retired so I can sleep in!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ez complete

Alnutrin

Most cat foods either have chicken or fish or both. So when food sensitivity is suspected, that’s a good place to start eliminating. Fortunately turkey is different enough that she can thrive on it even though she’s very sensitive to chicken now. I got her an Instant Pot because I’ve been making her slow cooker turkey stock. This should be a game changer. Plus there should be some tender meat to cut off the bone for her. I didn’t strip them all the way before I put them in.

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had him on Royal Canin rabbit or duck, blue wilderness turkey, Instinct original rabbit or duck, Core, and a few others. I really didn't see any improvement in his stool with these (except the Royal Canin which he won't eat anymore) and he doesn't seem to be having problems with chicken so I am going to keep making the chicken for him - until he doesn't like that anymore!!!

Thanks for the link!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I had Krista on top notch food that’s never bothered her before. Stomach bugs are rough. You just got to stabilize his gut first with s. boulardii and bland food. When his bland food is getting digested, and you’ll know because the poops are formed again, then you can introduce regular food again. Or try balancing the meat with a premix above. Now that Krista is getting some raw, some stock, and still nibbling on the yeast, she can eat her regular food again without the squirts. I just found Stella And Chewy’s Selects in turkey. This is raw and boneless. Something that has been a unicorn since Rad Cat was shut down last year. So far, she likes it. 🤞