Pseudomonas (please Advice :( )

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

I am fostering a 1 year old cat and he has pseudomonas. After 1 month of sneezing and nothing working I do a swap test and he has that nasty thing :(. The vet did a sensitive test and told me to give him ciproflaxin for 10 days only and then see if needs more. Also pseudomonas is not a very common occurrence in my country or not diagnose because the 3 vets I went haven't ever treated a cat with pseudomonas and they are reputable vets :(. So I research and read that I should give him courses of 20 or 30 days of an antibiotic and then a second course of a different antibiotic to totally erase it and normally vets give too short courses and that's why they became resistant or don't heal.
I want to know how long should I let the cat rest without it before changing to the next antibiotic. I told the vet that I read many cases of people with these problem and what they did and what were their results were but he told me only to give him the cipro. I told him I am afraid he became resisntant to it and he told me then there nothing to do. I got a bit mad with him because there other antibiotics that work like Zeniquin. But he doesn't know them. If anyone has any advice it will be great!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you read some of the other threads here on TCS about it? Those DO indicate the use of Zeniquin for sometimes two 21 day periods (minimum). The only thing I know of for you to do is to scan the internet as you have been doing and bring in the articles to your Vet. Perhaps he can order in the antibiotics required.

Here is just one thread where it is discussed: Upper Respiratory Infection (URI) Won't Go Away (do a search under pseudamonas at the top of the page and you'll find more threads similar to this)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you read some of the other threads here on TCS about it? Those DO indicate the use of Zeniquin for sometimes two 21 day periods (minimum). The only thing I know of for you to do is to scan the internet as you have been doing and bring in the articles to your Vet. Perhaps he can order in the antibiotics required.

Here is just one thread where it is discussed: Upper Respiratory Infection (URI) Won't Go Away (do a search under pseudamonas at the top of the page and you'll find more threads similar to this)
Thank you very much. Yes I read the others threads what I wanted to know if I let the cat rest after the first antibiotic course for a few days or I just change and continue right after

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you don't get any additional responses to your thread here, try starting a "conversation" with one of the folks who posted in the thread about their cat actually having been on the double dose of Zeniquin. I would start with Stephanietx.

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much I will do that!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We did 2 rounds of antibiotics, 20 days each time and it was the same antibiotic. We gave med for 20 days, repeated the culture and it was still high, so we did a 2nd round. After the 2nd round, it was within the normal range, but on the high side. We decided to leave it so she wouldn't develop any resistance to the medication.

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your answer!!
I have 1 more question if you could be so nice to answer it. When did you saw that your cat was better. Mine didn't show symptoms from the 11 day of treatment, now is on day 13
I was worried because I was thinking the antibiotic wasn't working. I saw good days but at night before the second dose he was again with symptoms like the nose or eyes.
Also how did you test him again because the vet use the mucus from his nose that he sneezed but now he is not sneezing or having any mucus were I could took a sample. Did you do a blood work sorry if it a stupid question.
Thank you again for your answer

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly don't remember how long it was until we saw improvement, but she was really bad to begin with. I know it took a good 2 weeks. You can also do some other things to help him. Is he congested? Steam him in the shower to help loosen up the congestion. You can also try plain saline drops in his nose to help clear it out. Just one drop in each nostril a couple of times a day will help.

When they re-tested, they did a culture from the nose and one from the back of the throat using sterile swabs.

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for all your help
Right now he doesn't have any congestion. I am very happy about that and as you say is been like 2 weeks to see the antibiotic to work. I only hear him a bit tired when he plays so I have reduce play time to none so his lungs and nose have a rest. Thankfully he is a very docile cat and don't go crazy. I let him go around the house now. But I don't let him near my other cats. My other cats are very healthy and I read is very difficult to pass the infection but just in case.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have always had Hannah around our other kitties and there's never been any transmission of the psuedomonas or the herpes virus she also has. Glad your little one is getting better.

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have always had Hannah around our other kitties and there's never been any transmission of the psuedomonas or the herpes virus she also has. Glad your little one is getting better.
Sorry for the late reply, thank you very much for all your advice. Sadly he only got a few good days and the antibiotic stop working :( the vet change antibiotics. I thought it wasn't working but today at the 6day he seems a lot better. I really hope this works! Also I want to neuter him but I can't because of these disease. He is not spraying or being aggressive but I know is good for him