Prozac Side Effects Going On The Drug And Also Coming Off The Drug.

janrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was on prozac a couple years ago for anxiety and improper urination. He was going all over the house and out of the litter box.. It worked right away.. When I weened him off it was a nightmare..He is a little under 7 lbs. The cat is a very small, thin boy, 4 years old now. He started to want to eat everything, even people food, 24/7. He was never interested in any people food at all and is fussy with his canned food. He would cry for food and even nudge my hand before I can even scoop out the food from the can. I think that was a side effect of going off prozac.. It took months for that to subside and he stopped all the food gulping and went back to his normal eating ( normal for him) He was ok for a while. .Now for the past 2 months he has been slowly starting the peeing in the house in different spots, and out of his litter box. He was checked for UTI and Flutd in February and bloodwork was all clear. I am starting him back on Prozac with the Drs. OK. He was on 5 mg when he first started last time and that was too much and he went on 2.5 mg. HE did ok on it. The peeing had stopped.. I would like to hear of any side effects while starting prozac that others have seen and also side effects weening off the meds.
So far he got 5 mg. and has been sleeping all day. I dont want a cat that is like a zombie.
Hope to hear the answers soon.
Thank you.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Lethargy is a common side effect of cats starting on Prozac (Fluoxetine), I would monitor him for now, and then call the vet to check in, maybe 5mg is still too big a dose for him. Appetite loss is also sometimes seen with kitties on Prozac, which might explain why your kitty seemed to be ravenous after stopping the Prozac last time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take him off the Prozac and try something different. They have 'calming treats' on amazon that work very well on my cats for vet visits, you might try those. I don't use the amount recommended, start out with half the dose and see how it works. It has 'natural' ingredients. You can also ask your vet if there is something else to try. Every living thing eventually builds up a tolerance to drugs, so it is good to get off of something once in awhile and restart it later to avoid this.