Prozac for spraying - experiences

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat has been on Prozac for about a month. At first he was spraying inside less and we thought it was working well but now he is back to constantly spray peeing everywhere.

Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with this they can share? Unsure whether to give up or increase the dose.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used Prozac for a cat that sprayed. It worked really well. In fact he stopped spraying after just 4 days of being on Prozac. Yet I have read that it can take up to 6 weeks.

How old is your kitty? Is he/she spayed/neutered? Any changes in the household? Any outside activity such as another cat that might be causing some anxiety? Any new pets in the house? Has the kitty been checked for UTI?

My boy was on Prozac for about 8 months. I stopped giving it to him as I had another cat who was also on Prozac for aggressive behavior. The aggressive cat was much more mellow, but he had a urinary blockage from urinary retention. This can be a side effect of Prozac. I decided to take the spraying cat off Prozac as a precaution. I am now using CBD oil with both of them. So far so good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for the reply.
He is 12 and he is neutered. We have recently moved and there are cats around which has increased the problem behaviour but it has definitely always been a problem. He has been checked for a UTI and we have Feliway going 24/7.

I feel like he isn’t himself since being on Prozac. He has definitely gained weight and the behaviour has lessened but not gone away so I’m just wondering the value. It seems like if it was going to work it would have worked by now. My partner wants to try another month but I’m hesitant. I didn’t know about the urinary blockage either which now concerns me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think that the move and the cats he may see around his new space have him into a territorial upheaval! Spraying is a really difficult behavior to manipulate.

You might try keeping him away from the windows where he might see the other outside cats. If they are spraying, he will spray in response.

There are other medications available so you might consult with your vet about trying something else. I know some people have tried amitriptyline. Yet both Prozac and amitriptyline can alter a cats personality. Both of my cats were very subdued and not themselves at all while on Prozac.

Here is an article you might find helpful.
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried using Feliway spray or diffusers? These can be very helpful in stress reduction. If you aren't familiar with it, Feliway is a synthetic form of the "happy cat" facial pheromone. It replicates the pheromones that a cat deposits when he rubs his cheeks on favorite things to mark territory. In a new environment, it can help increase a feeling of comfort and familiarity, and reduce stress. You can find diffusers that plug in, kind of like those air freshener plug-ins, and there is a spray that you can apply to bedding, carriers, etc. to help during car trips, vet visits and the like. You can also use it near or on areas where a cat is spraying or eliminating inappropriately, because often these are stress behaviors as well. There is the original Feliway, and a Feliway Multicat which simulates the mother cat's pheromones which is said to help in situations where several cats are stressing out around each other (fighting, hissing at each other...) It can be used in conjunction with the Prozac or amitriptyline. We used to use it in our clinic in exam rooms and in boarding or hospital cages, and it really seemed to help. A little spritz on the exam table or towel, right when the patient was checking in with the receptionist gave it time to mellow out and lose any kind of alcohol or propellent odor and diffuse through the room. I've used it when caring for sick cats at home to help them relax so I could do treatments or just to help them feel less scared due to just being sick. I think it works pretty well and yes, I have used it when our boy was spraying around the front room near the door because of some rather rude strays that were coming around. He was also on Prozac at the same time, and the two together helped us to get the spraying under control. He's no longer on Prozac because he's no longer spraying (that I can tell, anyway) but we still use the Feliway.