Protruding Anus - Should I Be Worried?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
1.jpg
2.jpg

Sometimes Felix's anus sticks out a slight amount. It's not all the time and never more than what is shown in the photos. It actually used to be worse until I started giving him pre and probiotics to help with his constipation but it will occasionally still stick out a bit. Does this look concerning? I told the vet about it when we were there last a few weeks ago but he didn't seem concerned because it was normal during his examination.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen a lot of cats like this before and they've always seemed fine (could be during changes in mood/excitement, if they have to use the bathroom, etc). That being said, since you noticed a change after changing his diet, it could be that there was some constipation or irritation before.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't really see much in the pictures that is worrisome, but let me see if J Jabzilla can take a look and offer an opinion. Their cat has been dealing with rectal prolapse for some time now and could be called our resident expert.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Graceful-Lily,
Your cat's bottom looks similar to what happened to my cat when he had a purse string that was too tight to allow him to poop. Reading that Felix has been constipated and that it was worse when he is constipated makes sense, as the protrusion looks like there would be poop held in the rectum that's unable to come out. The next time Felix is like that, are you able to gently poke the area with a finger to see if anything feels firm? I did that with Cosmos and could feel a firm poop that wasn't able to get past the purse strings that had been in at the time.

It definitely doesn't look like a prolapse though, as the anus is closed in the photos. If you see anything pink or red starting to protrude from the opening then it would be time to be concerned about that. In the meantime, I would just continue to keep an eye on it and note when the protrusion happens in relation to the firmness of his poops.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I had a photo of Cosmos' bottom during the too tight purse strings incident but I couldn't find it. I do have this photo though from the very beginning of his prolapse experience. If you see something like this, a bit of pink tissue sticking out of Felix's bottom then you'd be at risk of being in prolapse territory. This is what happened a few weeks before he had a full fledged prolapse.
IMG_0710.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I had a photo of Cosmos' bottom during the too tight purse strings incident but I couldn't find it. I do have this photo though from the very beginning of his prolapse experience. If you see something like this, a bit of pink tissue sticking out of Felix's bottom then you'd be at risk of being in prolapse territory. This is what happened a few weeks before he had a full fledged prolapse. View attachment 461424
Thank you for your imput. It was really informative. I'm sorry to hear your kitty had issues with this. Felix’s anus has never looked that red luckily. I'll continue to keep an eye on it but it's been like the photos I posted on and off for a while without much change so perhaps he's okay. Will send the pictures to the vet still just for confirmation though. And will poke it next time to see if maybe it's a poop.

I was also wondering if maybe his anal glands might need some expelling but I think the sides would be puffy if that was the case and not the top.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No problem! =D Fingers crossed that's just how Felix's bottom is and that there isn't anything to worry about. Asking the vet about his anal glands sounds good too.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
In the first photo it appears he has some swelling
Is it hsrd,crusty ,smelly and does he drag or rub his bottom on the floor/,carpet?In the other photo( I believe it's someone else's at) thst is a prolapse

It's more common in dogs thst cats to require their anal gland exressed'- and if it can be avoided it's better as the more frequent it's done tye more it seems to need to be done- fish oils,fiber suppliments and Glandex are all good preventative measures.....

There can be many reasons why his anus has that swelling,I would make an appt withi the Vet to rule out most possibilities and find out what's causing this-it can certainly be swollen from constipation or hard stool

You can try warm compress to soften that tissue and get the swelling down

Please keep us posted-I hope to hear a good report from your Vet

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Graceful-Lily,
Your cat's bottom looks similar to what happened to my cat when he had a purse string that was too tight to allow him to poop. Reading that Felix has been constipated and that it was worse when he is constipated makes sense, as the protrusion looks like there would be poop held in the rectum that's unable to come out. The next time Felix is like that, are you able to gently poke the area with a finger to see if anything feels firm? I did that with Cosmos and could feel a firm poop that wasn't able to get past the purse strings that had been in at the time.

It definitely doesn't look like a prolapse though, as the anus is closed in the photos. If you see anything pink or red starting to protrude from the opening then it would be time to be concerned about that. In the meantime, I would just continue to keep an eye on it and note when the protrusion happens in relation to the firmness of his poops.
I was able to poke it and it feels firm. When it's touched, it pushes out more like poop will come out and then he squats a bit. But he didn't go to the litter. I checked his box today and he hasn't pooped yet.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to poke it and it feels firm. When it's touched, it pushes out more like poop will come out and then he squats a bit. But he didn't go to the litter. I checked his box today and he hasn't pooped yet.
Can you call your Vet,you mentioned this to him already I believe? Does he know you and Felix well enough that you can ask if it'd be okay to give him a little Miralax( provided he is well hydrated) to try and help soften his stool for easier movement? It does sound & look like he's consitpated

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I will ask tomorrow. Is the Miralax something I will have to give him for the rest of his life? He pooped this morning. The pro/prebiotics have helped but he still doesn't go everyday sometimes. It used to be worse before this:
16973263467023781519041949357788.jpg

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That would depend on whether you and the vet are able to find the source of the constipation. The Miralax will soften his poop but it won't solve the underlying cause of the issue. What kind of food is he eating? That's usually the first place to look. The fact that probiotics are helping makes me think the problem might be food related.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I will ask tomorrow. Is the Miralax something I will have to give him for the rest of his life? He pooped this morning. The pro/prebiotics have helped but he still doesn't go everyday sometimes. It used to be worse before this:
View attachment 461502
I agree with J Jabzilla and I wouldn't think that would be necessary long term and it's not meant for long term use as you are only addressing a symptom by using Miralax ,not the cause
It's like anything-we can prescribe something to alleviate or decrease someone's pain but thsts not resolving the problem of what is causing the pain in the first place.

Excuse me for asking and if I missed something but have you had Feiix for a long time,do you know how old he is? I'm just wondering if he's recently had some dietary changes,if this is something you've just noticed and if he's young and only started eating adult food? Be great to have more details if that's okay

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That would depend on whether you and the vet are able to find the source of the constipation. The Miralax will soften his poop but it won't solve the underlying cause of the issue. What kind of food is he eating? That's usually the first place to look. The fact that probiotics are helping makes me think the problem might be food related.
He's getting both wet and dry food. Purina Friskies variety in wet and Blue Buffalo for dry.

I agree with J Jabzilla and I wouldn't think that would be necessary long term and it's not meant for long term use as you are only addressing a symptom by using Miralax ,not the cause
It's like anything-we can prescribe something to alleviate or decrease someone's pain but thsts not resolving the problem of what is causing the pain in the first place.

Excuse me for asking and if I missed something but have you had Feilx for a long time,do you know how old he is? I'm just wondering if he's recently had some dietary changes, if this is something you've just noticed and if he's young and only started eating adult food? Be great to have more details if that's okay
I've had Felix since he was 4 weeks old. He's 13 years old right now. These issues began when he approached senior age... so around 10 or 11 maybe. But it's hard to remember. I only just got him back recently as I moved out and left him with my mom until I could get my own place. He's not very good at drinking water so I have to add water to his wet food. This has always been an issue for him. He had an x-ray of his abdomen taken and blood panel done in March or April I think and those were both normal.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He's getting both wet and dry food. Purina Friskies variety in wet and Blue Buffalo for dry.

I've had Felix since he was 4 weeks old. He's 13 years old right now. These issues began when he approached senior age... so around 10 or 11 maybe. But it's hard to remember. I only just got him back recently as I moved out and left him with my mom until I could get my own place. He's not very good at drinking water so I have to add water to his wet food. This has always been an issue for him. He had an x-ray of his abdomen taken and blood panel done in March or April I think and those were both normal.
Oh okay,thank you so much for that- yeah so knowing thst it might be a good idea to transition him on to "Senior" level,same thing he's been eating but specially designed for a slower metabolism,less active and with higher fiber content..... it's a very slight change thst can make a difference without changung too much at once-just like when we reach our " golden years" we can use more fiber

I'd start there and help him out with the Miralax -small changes ,,little by little and process of eliminstion one thing at a time is always best to find solutions

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize I didn't update you all about how his bowels are now. I ended up just switching his food to the highest fibre I could find and he's now going much more regularly. The protruding only happens when he needs to poop and goes back to a normal looking anus afterwards. He's also a lot more active and happier since switching his food as well so I guess his old gut isn't weighing him down anymore. I've also added wet digestive food to his diet that also has a higher fibre content so I think he's okay now. :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ,thank you for the update and it's always a pleasure to be any kind of help-I'm so glad Felix is doing well with more fiber- that's wonderful news

And you're a wonderful cat Mom ❤