Protein too high?

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I have my cat on the highest protein, lowest carbohydrate diet I can afford, but I am beginning to think it is too much for my cat. She gets one 3 oz. can of grain free, low carb wet food in the morning and 1/4 a cup of Epigen 90 dry food in the evening. The Epigen 90 is 62% protein. Her poop has gotten progressively mushier, smellier, and kind of green. I actually think it has made her pack on weight? My cat is so counter of what I have heard cats should be. What gives? I know she needed higher protein, but I honestly think this is too much.

Every time I have tried one of the higher grade, low carb cat foods, boom, dark, sometimes green super smelly poops. What gives?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About a month ago I tried the Wysong Epigen 90 for my cats and  what little of it they did eat did not agree with them . Their stool was very stinky , also hard and smaller than usual .. 

I was going to try the Wysong Epigen but not sure if that would be any better ..Right now they are eating Royal Canin Special 33 but I am looking for something better ..

For my cats I think I will go with something grain free and about 40 % protein .. 

I did finally get them to eat some can food . They only like Fancy Feast Kitten Turkey  and  Purina Pro Plan Braised Chicken & Tomato ..   I do not know what the answer is for the amount of protein , I guess whatever works for your cat ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am looking into Nature's Variety Instinct kibbles. While not perfect, they are lower carb than other high end popular brands and in the same price range as Wysong. I think Wysong products are great, but it takes a certain kind of cat to handle the high meat protein content. I think us cat lovers often forget that cats are domesticated now; they have likely evolved to require a bit less protein than their wild ancestors. Again, I still need high meat protein for her, but 62% is pushing it. 

On that note, Enya loves the Wysong - gobbles it down, but her tummy itself is like, "a bit too much". 

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am looking into Nature's Variety Instinct kibbles. While not perfect, they are lower carb than other high end popular brands and in the same price range as Wysong. I think Wysong products are great, but it takes a certain kind of cat to handle the high meat protein content. I think us cat lovers often forget that cats are domesticated now; they have likely evolved to require a bit less protein than their wild ancestors. Again, I still need high meat protein for her, but 62% is pushing it. 

On that note, Enya loves the Wysong - gobbles it down, but her tummy itself is like, "a bit too much". 
Yeah , I was looking at the Natures Variety Instinct as well .  I agree , Wysong is a great product but not for all cats I guess ..  I like Natures Logic as well  but the carbs are a bit high .

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@FLAME1412

I thought the carbs in Natures Logic dry were a bit high ..  The highest % in one of the formulas was about 29%.

My cats only eat  a little less than 1/4 cup a day of kibble  and the rest wet but I wanted something  a bit lower in carbs . 

I found  Go ! Fit & Free  kibble .. It is only  15 % carbs .. They really love it too ..