Protecting Older Cat From "Young Whippersnapper"

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 13 - 14 y.o. male tabby who's really laid back, and a 6 y.o. female who has always ruled the roost.  They are affectionate with each other - groom each other, sometimes play together...they've been together since the 6 y.o. was 6 months old.  The problem is that the younger cat has a bit of a mean streak and sometimes likes to torment the older cat.  She does "sneak attacks" or chases him around.  I hate to see him so persecuted.  He can get away from her by jumping up on a little half wall, but he usually just runs to another room.  I yell at her, and then both cats scatter.  Surely there's a better way.  I play with her a lot and she gets plenty of exercise, but when she gets on a tear, there doesn't seem to be anything that will stop her.  Any ideas?

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, sounds like she wants to play and he just wants to be left alone. What might really help would be getting her a playmate with similar energy that likes other cats. I speak from experience with the Rogue, who required several playmates - inanimate toys and even interactive ones didn't cut it for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to get another cat...but my husband is allergic.  Two cats is his limit.  :(  For the moment, I'm going to focus on engaging her in play a little more.  Anything to tire her out!