Protecting Home Cats from Panleuk

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all -

I just started volunteering at a shelter that apparently has panleuk outbreaks on a somewhat regular basis. I don't want to stop volunteering but I also want to protect my two girls at home (8 and 10 years old). I plan on getting out of the shelter clothes as soon as I get home. They'll get washed with laundry sanitizer with my usual laundry.

Anything else I should be doing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.

If your cats are already vaccinated for panleuk, what you are doing should be fine. Cleaning/sanitizing your hands/face, and anything else that could have been exposed, but isn't going into the washer would be another precaution to take (e.g.; shoes, hair). Hopefully, the shelter has also provided you with appropriate protocols.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="FeebysOwner, post: 5752588, member: 1002165]
If your cats are already vaccinated for panleuk, what you are doing should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Phew, good to hear. They both get the 3-year FVRCP vaccines and rabies. Unfortunately the shelter didn't give me any protocols.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your cats are already vaccinated for panleuk, what you are doing should be fine.
Phew, good to hear. They both get the 3-year FVRCP vaccines and rabies. Unfortunately the shelter didn't give me any protocols.
[/QUOTE]
I recently went through this with one of mine, which you can read about here: Panleukopenia - My Experience Treating
During this journey, I found lots of literature that you might find helpful:

How to Clean and Disinfect after Panleukopenia – Fostering Cats
How to Disinfect Everything After Panleukopenia – Fostering Cats
Resources on Panleukopenia Cleaning – Fostering Cats
How Long is a Cat/Kitten Positive for Panleukopenia? – Fostering Cats
When Should You Foster Again After Panleukopenia? – Fostering Cats

We do have other cats, and so far, the only other one to get sick was a young kitten that appeared in our yard on 11/20. It too survived.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Panleuk is highly contagious and vaccines are not 100% effective.

When I have had to deal with it in a work situation,I change at work. Including show. Go directly home and change in the garage. Clean out car and immediately either discard double wrapped the clothes or wash in hot water and bleach. I then immediately hit the shower. I don’t do anything until I have taken a shower.