Protecting carpet and walls from litter boxes/urine spray

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I'm looking for some ideas for something to protect the carpet and walls in one of our litter box rooms.  The room is about 9x10 and the space the litter boxes are in what would be around a 6x6 area.  I currently have a piece of linoleum placed on the floor, going up the walls about 3ft.  Unfortunately, this is the second piece we've been through and it keeps kinking(despite bricks and such) which has caused tears and made cleaning a difficult chore.  One of our cats occasionally urinates over the sides of the litter boxes and everyone scrapes litter onto the floor.  Very high-sided boxes and hooded boxes are not an option due to having a disabled cat.  We considered buying a kiddie pool to put in there but it would make using the room fairly difficult.  Any inexpensive ideas?  Also, whatever it's made of would need to be made from materials that are easy to clean and easy on sensitive respiratory systems(asthma).  

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about a litter box that is high-sided on three sides only? That is what we use, plus a litter mat that catches most of the litter as the cats step out, and everyone seems to like it. I like the high three sides because I have a cat who is a side-peer. I think the cats like the easy access on the one low side. Everyone likes that it's not covered, and the litter mat is soft on paws and easy for me to shake into the litter box.

I purchased my boxes at Petsmart over four years ago and cannot find exactly what I have on their website. But it's essentially a standard litter box with what looks like a detachable top. This detachable top more than doubles the height on three sides, but the front is standard height. This is probably the closest to what I have: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4217933&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

I have also heard of people purchasing large Rubbermaid containers and cutting an opening of appropriate height and width to use as a litter box. I've thought about that, as I have a rather large cat and it sometimes looks like he could use more room when in the litter box.

This is the litter mat I use: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10928020&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No. Caution - I just purchased a new one two weeks ago and I had to let it off-gas for two weeks outside. I am not sure if the asthma is in a person or a cat, but this mat right out of the package will likely be intolerable to whoever has asthma (and those who don't!). My male has mild asthma, so we're using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief litter.