Protect my Plant!!!

fitzleigh1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

A little backstory to start: As a plant owner (sort of), I am of the "black thumb" variety. Plants virtually wither away in despair the minute they enter my abode. So much to my excitement, I was surprised after receiving an aloe start from a friend, to notice it not only surviving, but thriving!!! That is until Piper got into it and chewed one of the two young starts so terribly, that it has all but given up on life. The second, stronger start is still clinging desperately to life now, but outside where I no longer get to enjoy it!!!! How can I protect my new baby plant from the ravages of a curious kitten???? Please help!!!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have learned that with cats, live houseplants, or even FAKE ones for that matter, are just not an option.  I don't bother with a Christmas tree either because it'd just be too much mess and torn up in less than 24hrs anyway.  The thing is many, many houseplants are toxic to cats.  What kind of plant is it?  You have to be very careful.  Many put them on the ceiling, out of the reach from cat trees or other off-the-floor venues where cats can get up and try to reach for it.  But, for me, it's the same... They don't make it.  So I just keep them outside. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fitzleigh1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully it is not on the list of toxic plants. It is an aloe cactus. I will try hanging it from the ceiling. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aloe vera is quite a safe plant for humans and birds, but it is toxic to cats and dogs. The best option I've found for my plants is to keep them in a separate room. Most of my plants are in my office, which is closed off from the cats, and two are out on the balcony most of the year. Otherwise, same deal - they stay in the office. Something I did before was line the plant pot rims with lemon extract, but it wasn't foolproof. It wound up being easier locking the plants away.

If you want to satiate your cat's plant desire, I second getting some cat-friendly grasses.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I use these around the house. I'm lucky enough because Nora doesn't seem to munch on the house plants, but just to be on the safe side, all of my toxic plants are encased in glass. There are tons of styles out there and most have doors which makes it easy for watering :)

Last edited: