Proplan True Nature

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read a little about this line of food here but it doesn't seem to be mentioned often. From the few posts I read, some people called it "a step up from FF" and say it is slightly better quality than Sheba as well.
I am curious to see more thoughts on it... What makes it a little better than the FF?
Right now, I have both in my rotation but I just noticed last night that I can actually get cases of the True Nature from chewy for less per ounce than I spend on FF at a local store so if it's better and cheaper that way, I may try to cut the FF out or at least do more of the True Nature.
Thoughts?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only looked at one grain-free Proplan True Nature recipe, turkey and chicken, but suspect that the ingredient list starting with turkey, chicken, and liver, with byproducts only coming after the water, is the reason this food is seen as a step up from Fancy Feast pates, some of which have byproducts as the first ingredient. A quick check of a few FF pates, though, showed that some of those lists start with meat, too, rather than byproducts. The ingredients didn't look that different to me, though I didn't do a close comparison of all the additives.

FWIW, the main thing is that I'd stay away from either the Fancy Feast or Proplan foods that have wheat gluten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only looked at one grain-free Proplan True Nature recipe, turkey and chicken, but suspect that the ingredient list starting with turkey, chicken, and liver, with byproducts only coming after the water, is the reason this food is seen as a step up from Fancy Feast pates, some of which have byproducts as the first ingredient. A quick check of a few FF pates, though, showed that some of those lists start with meat, too, rather than byproducts. The ingredients didn't look that different to me, though I didn't do a close comparison of all the additives.

FWIW, the main thing is that I'd stay away from either the Fancy Feast or Proplan foods that have wheat gluten.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The grain free are the ones I am feeding and the FF I stick to the classic liver & chicken and turkey & giblets... no wheat gluten and no fish.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The grain free are the ones I am feeding and the FF I stick to the classic liver & chicken and turkey & giblets... no wheat gluten and no fish.
I think those are fine! I'd avoid the fish, too, except maybe as an occasional treat.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm feeding the FF Liver & Chicken & Turkey & Giblets just like you. The only thing wrong with them is the artificial favor. At least in these 2 formulas only there are no artificial colors, sodium nitrate to preserve the color, no wheat, corn or soy, fruit or vegetables, carrageenan, sunflower or flax oil all of which are useless to a cat. It's all animal protein. Purina gave me the DRY MATTER basis for each of these 2 formulas...
Liver/Chicken Turkey Giblet
Protein 55% 53.3%
Fat 29.3% 32.9%
Carb 0.8% 0.9

Vet said this is what they recommend for diabetic cats. Thankfully mine is not.

I only have 1 cat so she gets the liver hick in the morning & turkey giblets dinner. How do you feed?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm feeding the FF Liver & Chicken & Turkey & Giblets just like you. The only thing wrong with them is the artificial favor. At least in these 2 formulas only there are no artificial colors, sodium nitrate to preserve the color, no wheat, corn or soy, fruit or vegetables, carrageenan, sunflower or flax oil all of which are useless to a cat. It's all animal protein. Purina gave me the DRY MATTER basis for each of these 2 formulas...
Liver/Chicken Turkey Giblet
Protein 55% 53.3%
Fat 29.3% 32.9%
Carb 0.8% 0.9

Vet said this is what they recommend for diabetic cats. Thankfully mine is not.

I only have 1 cat so she gets the liver hick in the morning & turkey giblets dinner. How do you feed?
I just recently started her on wet food. She got dry only most of her life (I think they fed her some wet at the shelter before I adopted her but she's been on dry for the 9 years I've had her). I'm doing a 50/50 diet (dry & wet) so she's getting half a 3oz can (or 1/3 5.5 oz can) in the morning and again in the evening with dry (1/4-1/3 cup) in between. I am still working on the best way to do the dry. I know a lot of people are against free feeding but she just nibbles the dry, doesn't eat it all at once like she does the wet so it essentially ends up being free fed because it takes her the whole time between her 2 wet meals to eat the dry...
I've been feeding a few different brands of wet food, not just the FF. She gets mostly 4health brand from Tractor Supply because that is the cheapest. I also have the ProPlan, FF and Merrick rabbit pate on hand though. I just kind of grab a can that's different than the last one she had. If I gave her 4health chicken one day, the next day I will grab a FF turkey & giblets then the next day would be the rabbit. I also feed 4health salmon on occasion but I know too much fish is a no-no.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing the FF classic pate has over true nature is that the FF is carrageenan free. Again, just my opinion as I stay far away from carrageenan.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing the FF classic pate has over true nature is that the FF is carrageenan free. Again, just my opinion as I stay far away from carrageenan.
The True Nature food I linked to didn't have carrageenan but maybe something you looked at did? I avoid carrageenan, too, so always check for it on ingredient lists.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The True Nature food I linked to didn't have carrageenan but maybe something you looked at did? I avoid carrageenan, too, so always check for it on ingredient lists.
It's strange...for some reason the 3oz cans don't show it but the 5.5oz cans do. I don't personally avoid it 100% though. I try to limit it but 1 of the 3 flavors of the 4health I feed has it too. I guess that's a reason to keep some FF in the rotation though, to help limit it.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to feed it until i got the scoop on carrageenan. One day a couple months ago i decided to check on the ingredients hoping it had been removed because all my cars liked it and that is quite a feat with five! Yes, missmolly08 is correct the 3oz cans dont show it but the 5.5 oz do. So I emailed purina about that. The very scary thing is they confirmed it is in both the 3 and 5 oz cans. Though they had no explanation why it isnt on the 3 oz label. So, so scary!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will try to find the email from them in my archived mail. But I encourage you to email them about it. If i can find the email i will post it.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, found it...that was easier than I thought it would be!!! Here it is-
Hi Rhonda,
Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.
Our Purina® Pro Plan® brand Cat Food – True Nature™ - Adult Grain Free Formula – Natural Chicken & Liver Entrée – Plus Essential Nutrients - Classic in both sizes does contain carrageenan.

Carrageenan is a gelling agent commonly used in foods and pet foods to gel or set the product. This ingredient is primarily used by Purina in wet pet foods, such as loaf and also in some cases to make gravy and it gives the loaf product body and texture. It is made from red seaweed extract.

Thank you,
Savvoy

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also got an "explanation " of what carrageenan is. I told them Trust me, I know what it is! :angryfire: I don't know what can be done about this mis labeling but it makes me both scared and angry.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's strange...for some reason the 3oz cans don't show it but the 5.5oz cans do. I don't personally avoid it 100% though. I try to limit it but 1 of the 3 flavors of the 4health I feed has it too. I guess that's a reason to keep some FF in the rotation though, to help limit it.
I think FF gets a bad wrap because it is in grocery stores, walmart and the like. I even gave it a bad wrap but then my vet told me it is in her own cats rotations. She said stick with the classic pates. I checked it out and decided to try it. I was worried because my cats need grain free, but this fit the bill. So now the FF classic pates are in my rotation too!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all that, kittensx4 kittensx4 !

Yes, Fancy Feast Classics are very decent food. We don't feed them to the cats we have now but fed a lot of them to our previous cat, who just loved them. (The cats seem happier eating raw and homemade foods: they get bored with canned foods really fast.) I would sooner feed Fancy Feast than fancier foods with peas or potatoes or carrageenan: our cats' stomachs are pretty sensitive, so anything with the potential to cause stomach irritation or inflammation is totally off the menu! I've cut carrageenan out of our human menu, too, since I just don't trust the stuff. What bothers me most about it is that foods--be they pate food for cats or ice cream for humans--just don't need carrageenan.

And that's very bad about the Proplan listings differing like that! That doesn't inspire confidence at all!

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's crazy that they don't list it on the 3oz cans! I will definitely keep FF in my rotation though! Since people said the ProPlan was a "step up" and I found it cheaper on chewy I was thinking well, why not? Better and cheaper, can't beat it! Guess it was too good to be true! Thank you both.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's crazy that they don't list it on the 3oz cans! I will definitely keep FF in my rotation though! Since people said the ProPlan was a "step up" and I found it cheaper on chewy I was thinking well, why not? Better and cheaper, can't beat it! Guess it was too good to be true! Thank you both.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just glad I came across your post. Wishing you and your kitties well. :kneading: