Progress Made But Still Need Advice

Midnight1710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
My kittens are both adjusting well, we haven't introduced them to the dogs yet so they are still in the master bedroom.
Pumpkin is playful and friendly. Solo is still skittish. They are about 7 months old.
I have made a lot of progress with Solo, he will now allow me to pet him when I am preparing the wet food, he actually jumps up on the counter. When I push him to the ground he will rub once or twice on my leg and if I am just sitting (alone) he might come over and sniff at my toes. But he still runs away if I walk too close to him or if I try to pet him without food. He mainly hides for everyone else in the family which is really making my youngest daughter sad since Solo is "Her" kitty.
Are there any other things I might be able to do to get Solo to feel more comfortable and less skittish?
Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Playtime with him, assuming you can find a toy or two that he likes. Also, even though you may not want to get into the habit of treats, they would for now be an enticer when you are not feeding him his meals to get him to interact more often. Bringing your daughter into the process of treats and toys might help them bond better as well. And, the treats and toys should be introduced in the master bedroom where Solo is most comfortable, if I understood your post correctly.

Don't know how long this has been going on, but if it hasn't been a long time, I would imagine Solo will eventually come around since you have seen at least some progress.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
<<snip>>
He mainly hides for everyone else in the family which is really making my youngest daughter sad since Solo is "Her" kitty.
Are there any other things I might be able to do to get Solo to feel more comfortable and less skittish?
Thanks.
Assuming your daughter is school age and can read: Have her sit quietly in your room on the floor fairly far away from where Solo sits/hides and read to him. You'll have to figure out logistics and convince your daughter that this is a game of patience, the hardest part will be keep her calm once Solo finally ventures out. Add in some treats in between them and he should slowly come around.

My shy boy Barry was so bad that people even after almost two years don't believe we have him. He is an absolute ghost most of the time when people come over. It took me a long time to earn his trust and he is just starting to accept my wife. (And it drives her crazy that she can barely pet him but he is usually a mush when I pet him.)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Midnight1710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I know that this thread has been sleeping but I wanted to give a short update. I made some real progress with Solo, mainly from just "ignoring" him, I gave him his space didn't approach him and just did what I normally do when I enter the bedroom. He has started, this week, to jump up onto my nightside table and bump his nose into my hand and even jumps up next to me so I can pet him. I can't tell you how happy I am that he has finally started to come out of his shell and is actively seeking out my affection.
The next step for me is to see if he will climb up into my lap for affection or if he will lay down next to me so I can pet him. Then I think I will try to keep him calm enough for my daughters to try and pet him.
Pumpkin is still as active and friendly as ever.
Thanks for all your advice and the articles.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad things are progressing well with Solo. Thanks for the update.