Progress integrating a third cat - what are the residents saying?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! Aberdeen very rarely reacts negatively to Sammie’s growling and hissing. Sometimes it’s almost like she doesn’t hear her :disappointed: and will continue sitting where she was or keep doing what she’s doing.

Other times she will look at us wide eyed when she’s hisses at, walk away from Sammie, then try again in a few minutes.

even when she gets smacked, she only moves just far enough to avoid getting smacked again. She’s brave and persistent, that girl!
"Yep! Aberdeen very rarely reacts negatively to Sammie’s growling and hissing." - THAT is great. It tells me Sammie isn't really being aggressive. More a "hey watch it" than a "I am going to eliminate you". Which is supported by their actions after.

"Sometimes it’s almost like she doesn’t hear her :disappointed: " - Aberdeen hears it is jsut that Sammie is warning and not threatening if that makes sense.

"and will continue sitting where she was or keep doing what she’s doing." - Actually that is good as it shows confidence and trust and a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

"Other times she will look at us wide eyed when she’s hisses at, walk away from Sammie, then try again in a few minutes." - Awwwwwww. Like "I wanna be friends but she is not havin' it". I know the look and the actions. BUT I like she tries (diplomatically) again. Tells us that Sammie is not really "scary".

"even when she gets smacked, she only moves just far enough to avoid getting smacked again. " Awwwww. The fact she doesn't act like prey (runs away) helps a lot. That confidence and trust is really helpful.

"She’s brave and persistent, that girl!" - And smart and diplomatic. I think she is a big reason why they are doing so well. Not all kittens are so good.

They are going to be just fine. Just keep up the work and IF anything pops up we'll deal with it quickly. But I am expecting maybe blips, nothing meaningful.

Keep up the great work!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kghia

Cat Lover & Shelter Volunteer
Young Cat
Purraise
"Yep! Aberdeen very rarely reacts negatively to Sammie’s growling and hissing." - THAT is great. It tells me Sammie isn't really being aggressive. More a "hey watch it" than a "I am going to eliminate you". Which is supported by their actions after.

"Sometimes it’s almost like she doesn’t hear her :disappointed: " - Aberdeen hears it is jsut that Sammie is warning and not threatening if that makes sense.

"and will continue sitting where she was or keep doing what she’s doing." - Actually that is good as it shows confidence and trust and a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

"Other times she will look at us wide eyed when she’s hisses at, walk away from Sammie, then try again in a few minutes." - Awwwwwww. Like "I wanna be friends but she is not havin' it". I know the look and the actions. BUT I like she tries (diplomatically) again. Tells us that Sammie is not really "scary".

"even when she gets smacked, she only moves just far enough to avoid getting smacked again. " Awwwww. The fact she doesn't act like prey (runs away) helps a lot. That confidence and trust is really helpful.

"She’s brave and persistent, that girl!" - And smart and diplomatic. I think she is a big reason why they are doing so well. Not all kittens are so good.

They are going to be just fine. Just keep up the work and IF anything pops up we'll deal with it quickly. But I am expecting maybe blips, nothing meaningful.

Keep up the great work!!!
I will pass along your praises to Aberdeen, thank you C calicosrspecial !

We’ve noticed that she is indeed quite a smart kitten (at least compared to our older ones haha...). She figured out the treat ball in a few seconds only (took the residents a good few sessions over a few days), she picked up on hopping onto counters to look for food within a couple weeks of being out and about, but hasn’t hopped on the counter again since we used the motion activated SSSCAT spray, she figured out how to OPEN THE DOOR of her safe room (we now have a baby door knob cover on it) and she’s barely afraid of our robot vacuum andjust calmly walks away when it gets near while our residents still run away from it if it got too close unexpectedly.

I do need to give Aberdeen a bit more credit. I think being born to a mama in a feral colony (and brought into a foster home with her mama just in time) has allowed her to become quite a smart kitten. I can tell her mama raised her quite well and she wasn’t taken away too soon since she does have good basic manners, though Rosie is certainly working on refining Aberdeen’s manners on a daily basis...:lol:

We had a good weekend, it was definitely one of the “ups” of this journey. Today we managed to feed all 3 cats in close proximity on the same side of the gate. Normally we have to put Aberdeen on the other side of the baby gate because she’ll try to steal the others’ food after scarfing down hers, or Sammie wouldn’t eat with her so close and will walk away from her bowl even though she clearly wants to eat.
We heard some protesting growls from Sammie, but not before she nearly 1/2 done her food and she kept eating anyway while growling.

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will pass along your praises to Aberdeen, thank you C calicosrspecial !

We’ve noticed that she is indeed quite a smart kitten (at least compared to our older ones haha...). She figured out the treat ball in a few seconds only (took the residents a good few sessions over a few days), she picked up on hopping onto counters to look for food within a couple weeks of being out and about, but hasn’t hopped on the counter again since we used the motion activated SSSCAT spray, she figured out how to OPEN THE DOOR of her safe room (we now have a baby door knob cover on it) and she’s barely afraid of our robot vacuum andjust calmly walks away when it gets near while our residents still run away from it if it got too close unexpectedly.

I do need to give Aberdeen a bit more credit. I think being born to a mama in a feral colony (and brought into a foster home with her mama just in time) has allowed her to become quite a smart kitten. I can tell her mama raised her quite well and she wasn’t taken away too soon since she does have good basic manners, though Rosie is certainly working on refining Aberdeen’s manners on a daily basis...:lol:

We had a good weekend, it was definitely one of the “ups” of this journey. Today we managed to feed all 3 cats in close proximity on the same side of the gate. Normally we have to put Aberdeen on the other side of the baby gate because she’ll try to steal the others’ food after scarfing down hers, or Sammie wouldn’t eat with her so close and will walk away from her bowl even though she clearly wants to eat.
We heard some protesting growls from Sammie, but not before she nearly 1/2 done her food and she kept eating anyway while growling.
AWESOME picture!!! Yep, they are going to be just fine. :)

My goodness are they GORGEOUS!!!!

"I will pass along your praises to Aberdeen, thank you C calicosrspecial !" - :)

"We’ve noticed that she is indeed quite a smart kitten (at least compared to our older ones haha...). She figured out the treat ball in a few seconds only (took the residents a good few sessions over a few days), she picked up on hopping onto counters to look for food within a couple weeks of being out and about," - Yes, she is VERY intelligent!!

"but hasn’t hopped on the counter again since we used the motion activated SSSCAT spray," - Yes, that works typically.

" she figured out how to OPEN THE DOOR of her safe room (we now have a baby door knob cover on it)" - Yes, intelligent!!

" and she’s barely afraid of our robot vacuum andjust calmly walks away when it gets near while our residents still run away from it if it got too close unexpectedly." - Yes, she knows. VERY intelligent.

"I do need to give Aberdeen a bit more credit. I think being born to a mama in a feral colony (and brought into a foster home with her mama just in time) has allowed her to become quite a smart kitten." - Yes, agreed. I have found that ferals tend to be very smart AND diplomatic.

"I can tell her mama raised her quite well and she wasn’t taken away too soon since she does have good basic manners," - Totally agree!!!

" though Rosie is certainly working on refining Aberdeen’s manners on a daily basis...:lol:" - Yes, she still has the kitten energy. ;)

"We had a good weekend, it was definitely one of the “ups” of this journey. " - :)

"Today we managed to feed all 3 cats in close proximity on the same side of the gate." - The picture is AWESOME!!

"Normally we have to put Aberdeen on the other side of the baby gate because she’ll try to steal the others’ food after scarfing down hers," - Yes, normal hungry kitten behavior.

" or Sammie wouldn’t eat with her so close and will walk away from her bowl even though she clearly wants to eat." - Normal

"We heard some protesting growls from Sammie, but not before she nearly 1/2 done her food and she kept eating anyway while growling. " - Fantastic. Yep, they are going to be just fine. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kghia

Cat Lover & Shelter Volunteer
Young Cat
Purraise
AWESOME picture!!! Yep, they are going to be just fine. :)

My goodness are they GORGEOUS!!!!

"I will pass along your praises to Aberdeen, thank you C calicosrspecial !" - :)

"We’ve noticed that she is indeed quite a smart kitten (at least compared to our older ones haha...). She figured out the treat ball in a few seconds only (took the residents a good few sessions over a few days), she picked up on hopping onto counters to look for food within a couple weeks of being out and about," - Yes, she is VERY intelligent!!

"but hasn’t hopped on the counter again since we used the motion activated SSSCAT spray," - Yes, that works typically.

" she figured out how to OPEN THE DOOR of her safe room (we now have a baby door knob cover on it)" - Yes, intelligent!!

" and she’s barely afraid of our robot vacuum andjust calmly walks away when it gets near while our residents still run away from it if it got too close unexpectedly." - Yes, she knows. VERY intelligent.

"I do need to give Aberdeen a bit more credit. I think being born to a mama in a feral colony (and brought into a foster home with her mama just in time) has allowed her to become quite a smart kitten." - Yes, agreed. I have found that ferals tend to be very smart AND diplomatic.

"I can tell her mama raised her quite well and she wasn’t taken away too soon since she does have good basic manners," - Totally agree!!!

" though Rosie is certainly working on refining Aberdeen’s manners on a daily basis...:lol:" - Yes, she still has the kitten energy. ;)

"We had a good weekend, it was definitely one of the “ups” of this journey. " - :)

"Today we managed to feed all 3 cats in close proximity on the same side of the gate." - The picture is AWESOME!!

"Normally we have to put Aberdeen on the other side of the baby gate because she’ll try to steal the others’ food after scarfing down hers," - Yes, normal hungry kitten behavior.

" or Sammie wouldn’t eat with her so close and will walk away from her bowl even though she clearly wants to eat." - Normal

"We heard some protesting growls from Sammie, but not before she nearly 1/2 done her food and she kept eating anyway while growling. " - Fantastic. Yep, they are going to be just fine. :)
I forgot to come back and check your post!

Fur balls are doing well. They all hang out in the basement now overnight and whenever we’re away. No issues with Aberdeen staying with them so far. If all continues to go well we will slowly be moving things out of her safe room to the rest of the house, since we find she rarely goes in there anymore unless to use the litter box or drink water. The residents are actually spending more time in that room throughout the day than Aberdeen.

We are using the baby gate less as well too. They have been fed within a few feet of each other on the same side for a few days now! We upped Aberdeen’s food because I think I was under feeding her (we were trying a new food which was less caloric dense than another brand we usually feed) and she no longer tries to shove her face into the other cats’ bowls. She also seems less ravenous which is good!

Still lots of growling from Sammie. But it rarely leads to anything and often just results in her walking away, Aberdeen walking away or Aberdeen standing her ground and the growling subsiding. Once in awhile she’ll be in Sammie’s space and she’ll get bopped.

this is happening more frequently too: Aberdeen will be in Sammie’s face while she is waiting for food or treats and Sammie won’t react. She’ll sniff Aberdeen for a good few seconds (like nose up to her side or sometimes butt) and THEN decide she doesn’t like her and growl. Strange cat!

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to come back and check your post!

Fur balls are doing well. They all hang out in the basement now overnight and whenever we’re away. No issues with Aberdeen staying with them so far. If all continues to go well we will slowly be moving things out of her safe room to the rest of the house, since we find she rarely goes in there anymore unless to use the litter box or drink water. The residents are actually spending more time in that room throughout the day than Aberdeen.

We are using the baby gate less as well too. They have been fed within a few feet of each other on the same side for a few days now! We upped Aberdeen’s food because I think I was under feeding her (we were trying a new food which was less caloric dense than another brand we usually feed) and she no longer tries to shove her face into the other cats’ bowls. She also seems less ravenous which is good!

Still lots of growling from Sammie. But it rarely leads to anything and often just results in her walking away, Aberdeen walking away or Aberdeen standing her ground and the growling subsiding. Once in awhile she’ll be in Sammie’s space and she’ll get bopped.

this is happening more frequently too: Aberdeen will be in Sammie’s face while she is waiting for food or treats and Sammie won’t react. She’ll sniff Aberdeen for a good few seconds (like nose up to her side or sometimes butt) and THEN decide she doesn’t like her and growl. Strange cat!
The pictures are AMAZING!!! My goodness I can't get over how gorgeous they are!! But I also LOVE that they can eat so close.

"Fur balls are doing well." - Great

"They all hang out in the basement now overnight and whenever we’re away." - Wow, awesome!!

" No issues with Aberdeen staying with them so far." - Great

" If all continues to go well we will slowly be moving things out of her safe room to the rest of the house, since we find she rarely goes in there anymore" - Great, that is fine.

" unless to use the litter box or drink water." - Ok. I would leave the litter box in there if possible and the water and just add a litter box in the rest of the house. Cats don't like change so I am careful about moving litter boxes.

" The residents are actually spending more time in that room throughout the day than Aberdeen." - Really? Then I may not move anything to be honest. (if possible).

"We are using the baby gate less as well too." - Yes, makes sense.

" They have been fed within a few feet of each other on the same side for a few days now!" - Great. The pics are amazing.

" We upped Aberdeen’s food because I think I was under feeding her (we were trying a new food which was less caloric dense than another brand we usually feed) and she no longer tries to shove her face into the other cats’ bowls." - Wow, I am impressed she isn't going into the other bowls. Many do even when they aren't hungry (the grass is always greener on the other side).

" She also seems less ravenous which is good!" - Great

"Still lots of growling from Sammie." - That is fine.

" But it rarely leads to anything and often just results in her walking away, Aberdeen walking away or Aberdeen standing her ground and the growling subsiding." - This is the key. Respect. As long as we have that respect and understanding it is fine. SO let's watch it but I don't expect issues.

"Once in awhile she’ll be in Sammie’s space and she’ll get bopped." - Hahaha, yep. And as long as it doesn't escalate and is respected that is fine.

"this is happening more frequently too: Aberdeen will be in Sammie’s face while she is waiting for food or treats and Sammie won’t react." - Wow, impressive.

" She’ll sniff Aberdeen for a good few seconds (like nose up to her side or sometimes butt) and THEN decide she doesn’t like her and growl. Strange cat!" - Yep, they will do that. As long as it doesn't escalate and they don't act differently after it then it is fine. Naw, she is just a normal cat.

Sounds like it is going great. Just keep up the great work and I think soon the gates can come down etc. GREAT JOB!!!! :clap2: