Program oral flea control

lilmonkeykeeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I tried searching the forum and wasn't able to find much recent information on this product.

My 2 cats are indoors only and we do not currently have a flea infestation but fleas are a pretty serious problem where I live. We recently got a dog and I worry that fleas will be more of risk now than before.

I read some very good reviews of Program and my dog is currently on Sentinel (the dog version). I'm wondering if anyone here has used Program for their cats and what their opinion of it was? I realize it doesn't kill adult fleas but does help prevent an infestation.

What I like about it is that it has been on the market awhile and seems to have a pretty good safety record. My male cat reacts to Advantage (he loses his hair and seems to get pretty distressed after application) and I haven't had much luck with Frontline in the past. For environmental reasons I'd prefer not to use a top spot product but I worry about the effect of my cat ingesting an insecticide. I know cats can tend to be pretty sensitive to things like that.

Thoughts?

Thank you

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would only recommend getting flea meds from a vet. Have you tried Revolution. We do Bijou with Revolution from around May to October/November.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilmonkeykeeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Program is a vet prescribed medication, like Revolution and Frontline. My vet carries it and recommended it to me when I mentioned the problems I had with the top spot products, was just looking for other peoples experiences, if any. Thank you though, I will look at Revolution as well

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used Program on my not so feral boy Frank over the summer and into the fall since we're still not at the point that he'd allow me to apply Frontline or Revolution. My vet recommends it and Frank didn't seem to have any problem injesting it his wet food. Seemed very affective at controlling the fleas.

cindy san diego

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I would like to put in a good word for Program Oral Suspension for Large Cats.  My ragdoll mix big boy weighs 18 lbs. and is a picky eater.  He loves going out into my small, enclosed back yard each day, but this opens him up to flea problems.  I buy Program on Amazon, mix it well with about 1/2 can of Desmond's favorite Fancy Feast flavor, and he eats it up at once with no leftovers.  After about 36 hours, scratching is over.  There are no side effects that I've observed.  I'm guessing the Program liquid must have no scent or taste because Desmond does not suspiciously sniff his food mix before he gobbles it up.  I like this product because it makes effective flea treatment easy! 

jessie gray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use to use Program on my 2 cats before it became impossible to find.  I would get the Program Flavor Tabs for cats rather than the liquid, because no matter what canned food I put the liquid in, my cats refused to eat it. 

I had to switch to Advantage II for flea control.

Jessie

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looking it up online, I see there is an injectable that last 6 months. :eek:

I know it sounds scary, but once you learn how to give it, which is really easy, it's actually one of the easiest ways to medicate the animal! You're scruffing them, so their instinct to be still works to your advantage, and you don't have to force things down their throat and cause stress for both of you.

Now that I see this, I'm seriously considering doing this flea treatment!