Problems with raw diet

maves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been making raw food for my cat for two years, and it was going well, but now she is having one problem after another. I was making chicken for her, and she loved it, but she started getting diarrhea from the eggs, so I took those out. Then she started scratching her ears. I figured I need to vary her diet and give her higher quality meat, so I did a bulk order from Hare Today. When I gave her rabbit she got constipated and had chalky stools, so I mixed more boneless meat with it, but then she started throwing up after every meal. I thought most cats do well with rabbit. So I switched to turkey, combining mix with boneless. After a day of that she now has diarrhea. Should I be transitioning her slowly from one meat to another? Is it something about the food from Hare Today? She is fine digesting the store-bought chicken I prepare at home, but she is itchy. I haven't tried the chicken I got from Hare Today yet. My freezer is now taken up with raw food I can't use, and I'm stressed out all the time about my cat's discomfort. I love the idea of a raw diet, but I'm starting to think it might not be for us. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong or what I might try?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You'd want to transition slowly when you're introducing a new food.

Are you able to get a commercial food that has venison or some other protein she hasn't had? Try that for a few weeks and see if her issues decrease.

If you decide to stop with raw you might check on Nextdoor . Com if there are any other raw feeders near you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you happen to call Hare Today and discuss the vomiting issue with them. I used to use them and they were very good at customer service. It's possible they have an issue with their meat, though improbable with two different types. I would still let them know so they can check it out. When you added extra meat to the rabbit, was it boneless rabbit, or something else. Perhaps it was the something else that cause the vomiting. And Furballsmom Furballsmom is correct in that when you introduce a new protein you need to go slow. You can also use Digestive Ezymes to aid in the digestion. I used Prozyme when I started feeding raw.

As for her beloved chicken, I have heard of some cats who had an issue with chicken who did ok with organic chicken. You might give that a try.