TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sex/Neuter status: Female Neutered
Breed: Tuxedo
Body weight: Average (few extra pounds)
History: Always been healthy
Duration: 2-3 days

Clinical signs: Yesterday I noticed that one eye was more closed then the other. Upon inspection I noticed that one of the eye balls (the now sick eye) was a lot smaller compared to the healthy eye. Today I noticed the eye appears to have gotten worse; aside from being smaller it also appears to be closing.. seems like almost a film is developing over it.

I don't know if this is due to old age or some sort of infection. I live in NYC and vets here are VERY expensive (my last visit costed me $300+ for some antibiotics) and I really short on money right now. I am hoping someone can tell me what the issue might be and what/if anything can be done; maybe i can order medicine online without going to the vet... I am hoping this is curable.. please help ;-( she doesnt seem in pain but I don't want her to loose her vision. Here is the picture of the her eyes:
Thank you very much! Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.. I love my cat and am really worried.. thank you again

Attachments

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately without tests you won't get a sure answer. Taking our word isn't the best option. She needs to be seen by a vet.

I searched for low-cost vet clinics in New York, and although I know NY is huge, there should be one near you:

LMGTFY

Someone will most likely post the usual article about not having money and needing vet care on what to do.

CareCredit is an option.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Let me provide more info either way...

That white 'film' as you called it is her third eyelid. It usually only shows when they are super tired for some reason or ill. Usually an illness.

A female 'neutered' cat is actually called spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

idgamerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I'll do some calls tomorrow and try to find a clinic; it's just my financial situation at the moment is pretty bad. I remember a few years ago I noticed some blood in the urine and the vet visit costed me over $300 for medicine I could have bought myself for $30.. everything in NYC is overpriced to the maximum. So I was hoping that maybe its some sort of a common problem that I could just order medicine for myself but that doesnt seem to be the case.

She seems normal otherwise.. her behaviors hasnt changed at all and aside from the eye nothing else seems amiss so I was thinking maybe it was some kind of eye infection but what do I know.. thanks for the info and the reply.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
You are always free to do the vet visit and buy the medicine elsewhere as long as it does not require a prescription. You could also have them write you a prescription and then buy it elsewhere (having them write it for you would probably cost a bit of money too).

idgamerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also yesterday before the third eyelid appeared (which I noticed today) one of her eye balls (the one with the third eyelid now) was significantly smaller in size compared to the healthy one and she also had it half way closed compared to the healthy eye; its definitely not stress related and she does not lack sleep, trust me its all she does 75% of the time :p

idgamerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are always free to do the vet visit and buy the medicine elsewhere as long as it does not require a prescription. You could also have them write you a prescription and then buy it elsewhere (having them write it for you would probably cost a bit of money too).
Good to know, thanks!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Also yesterday before the third eyelid appeared (which I noticed today) one of her eye balls (the one with the third eyelid now) was significantly smaller in size compared to the healthy one and she also had it half way closed compared to the healthy eye; its definitely not stress related and she does not lack sleep, trust me its all she does 75% of the time :p
When you say her eyeball was smaller... do you mean she was closing her eye more compared to the other eye? Or the pupils were different sizes from one eye to the other? Since you mentioned it was smaller and halfway closed, so I am kind of confused.

I hate to see her like this, she is so beautiful...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is called Horners Syndrome, it can be a symptom of various different things (from brain trauma to nerve damage to worm infestation!) and you should take the cat to a vet as soon as possible. It's one of those things - it might be really minor, it might be really serious, getting it checked out is essential. If it shows up with no prior medical history, it is a case of go to the vet asap.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what is wrong with your sweetie's eye(s), but I know eyes are nothing to mess around with and usually going to the vet will be your best course of action. I also live in an expensive city, but sometimes you just have to go to the vet just to make sure that all can be remedied properly. It could be something on the minor end of the scale, but since she is also 10 yrs old, it's often a great idea to take your older kitty to a vet a bit more often than not, as they can develop health issues pretty rapidly. Her eye issue might be something singular and easy-to-treat, but it could also be part of a larger health issue.
If you can, I'd take her in to find out!
:grouphug2:

idgamerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you say her eyeball was smaller... do you mean she was closing her eye more compared to the other eye? Or the pupils were different sizes from one eye to the other? Since you mentioned it was smaller and halfway closed, so I am kind of confused.

I hate to see her like this, she is so beautiful...
She was closing her one eye more compared to the other eye AND one of the pupils was smaller compared to the other and the next day I noticed the third eyelid.. I am at work right now but will check on her when I get home; her behavior seems normal and unchanged but if she isnt better by tonight I will try to find a vet since it doesnt seem like something I can help her with myself.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good. I looked up Horner's Syndrome, and it really is a neurologic condition that needs to be seen by a vet.