Problems with Dry Skin/Dandruff

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My tuxedo kitty has been experiencing flaky/dry skin or dandruff these past couple of months. I'm in the Northeast and like most other places, this past winter has been BRUTAL on everyone. So the extra dryness in the air seems to be what's doing it. I also don't have a humidifier, definitely investing on one next year!

So, today on a whim, I picked up "Kittywipes" at Walmart. Pretty inexpensive, a few dollars, and wondered if this could help her at all. I've been brushing her frequently and maybe that has made the flaking a LITTLE less, but not much. 

I should mention, she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort or pain, nor is she showing any other odd signs. I'm pretty confident this isn't an allergic (or otherwise) reaction to anything. My skin has been extra dry as well, more so than normal.

So, has anyone used these wipes? Or what did you do to help alleviate the dry skin in your kitty? Any suggestions welcome. Thank you! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read the thread in this section about coconut oil! Thoughts on using that with my kitty? I'm sure it would help. 

erica37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure what kind of food you use but it could mean that she is dehydrated and needs to drink more water.  Wet food adds water.  I don't feed my cats all wet, but they have wet and dry food and I also have a water fountain for them which encourages them to drink more water.  I had a cat who had dry skin a lot and couldn't figure it out.  But she developed kidney cancer.  I did a lot of research on kidney disease in cats and I think it was partly because she didn't drink enough water her whole life and we didn't feed her wet food.  Coconut oil might be good, but it will make them a little greasy.  It definitely wouldn't hurt.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, thanks for responding. She does get enough water, I feed her wet food at least once a day, sometimes twice, and I also mix a little water into it. She also plays with her water bowl while she's drinking it a lot, and by scooping the litter I can definitely tell she is getting enough water. I'm sure a tad of dehydration could be it, though, since it's been such a dry season. The weather is becoming more and more mild so hopefully that will help her coat...

erica37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree; it's probably something more systematic.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh those treats are a good idea. I never paid them much mind since there's a huge wall full of different treats, it's like picking out toothpaste--which one?! lol.