Problems with cleaning

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! I’ve been breeding cats since 2019. It has recently become unbearable. We moved to a larger house which I thought would be beneficial for cats. But for some reason the cats make it more dirty than our previous smaller house. I am not disturbed by cleaning litterboxes or brushing them or any similar tasks. What disturbs me is that they started occasionally pee on the carpets. They are all healthy. These accidents happen every 6 months or so, but it’s way too stressful if we have to sleep in the same room a cat peed.

Those of you who breed cats, how do you manage it? Do you keep your cats only in one part of your house? Where do you keep your studs? Do you use cat enclosures? I try to keep the cats outside of my bedroom by closing the door, but they somehow managed to get in and pee on the carpet there today, and I don’t know what to do next. They are so clean and innocent that I let them go to almost every room, but now they created this unbearable smell and I think I need to manage it differently or stop breeding altogether. Please help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, do you know if that house had other pets? I'm wondering if a professional carpet cleaning might help. Also, do you know if there are animals outside that could be causing territorial reactions? That this is occurring only evey six months doesn't give me a solid reason why, but also,
but it’s way too stressful if we have to sleep in the same room a cat peed.
Are you using an enzymatic cleaner on the pee spots?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, do you know if that house had other pets? I'm wondering if a professional carpet cleaning might help. Also, do you know if there are animals outside that could be causing territorial reactions? That this is occurring only evey six months doesn't give me a solid reason why, but also,

Are you using an enzymatic cleaner on the pee spots?
Not sure about other pets in the house but there are many cats outside. I’m using enzymatic cleaner but it doesn’t help anymore.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, those outside cats are causing a lot of stress for your indoor kitties.

The enzymatic cleaner is for addressing stains and odor, and needs to be used on every area/spot. A good blacklight (check the customer reviews), which can show a lot since it will also show old spots, can be helpful so that you are getting all of the areas. You don't want urine fume buildup.

Have your indoor cats been to the vet recently? As long as you know nothing is health related here, you might check with the vet regarding calming products. Feliway and Comfort Zone are expensive, so perhaps there are calming treats available as well as sprays etc.

Cat Music could be helpful as well. There's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, classical harp music, harp music written for cats, music with purrs in it and videos that have just purring.

Can you set up motion activated sprinklers outside? Everything other than the cleaner that I've mentioned here is, in truth, a bandaid even if a helpful bandaid, if you can't stop the cats from coming into your area/yard.

However, if you can't stop the outside cats with sprinklers, or even small pieces of cloth sprayed with lemon scented furniture polish scattered around and freshened repeatedly, the bandaids of calming products and music are still very necessary because stress is hard on a cat.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
I do not breed cats, but I have a few house girls that get very territorial if strange cats show up around the house. The enzymatic cleaner is good to get the smell out, but if it's a marking issue from strange cats being so near, I would consider getting a marking deterrent and misting it around the doors and areas they have peed to hopefully prevent them from re-visiting the area.
You could also use this around the outside of your house to hopefully deter the roaming cats. Do you see any of the roaming cats marking specific areas (certain trees or shrubs near the house, or near your entry doors?)
Depending on a lot of factors, is there any way to know or find out if these are pet cats that are allowed to roam, or strays?
Also, if possible, block much visual access to the outdoors where the cats like to visit as possible. The simple sight of a strange cat can trigger some to begin marking.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, those outside cats are causing a lot of stress for your indoor kitties.

The enzymatic cleaner is for addressing stains and odor, and needs to be used on every area/spot. A good blacklight (check the customer reviews), which can show a lot since it will also show old spots, can be helpful so that you are getting all of the areas. You don't want urine fume buildup.

Have your indoor cats been to the vet recently? As long as you know nothing is health related here, you might check with the vet regarding calming products. Feliway and Comfort Zone are expensive, so perhaps there are calming treats available as well as sprays etc.

Cat Music could be helpful as well. There's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, classical harp music, harp music written for cats, music with purrs in it and videos that have just purring.

Can you set up motion activated sprinklers outside? Everything other than the cleaner that I've mentioned here is, in truth, a bandaid even if a helpful bandaid, if you can't stop the cats from coming into your area/yard.

However, if you can't stop the outside cats with sprinklers, or even small pieces of cloth sprayed with lemon scented furniture polish scattered around and freshened repeatedly, the bandaids of calming products and music are still very necessary because stress is hard on a cat.
Thank you very much for the info. I will try implement some of these methods. Not sure I can stop neighbour cats coming though, I think we have to move to a different place. My cats didn't have this behaviour when we were living in an apartment and all they had was balcony. There were other cats in the building but they did not come to our balcony and my cats did not go anywhere.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I do not breed cats, but I have a few house girls that get very territorial if strange cats show up around the house. The enzymatic cleaner is good to get the smell out, but if it's a marking issue from strange cats being so near, I would consider getting a marking deterrent and misting it around the doors and areas they have peed to hopefully prevent them from re-visiting the area.
You could also use this around the outside of your house to hopefully deter the roaming cats. Do you see any of the roaming cats marking specific areas (certain trees or shrubs near the house, or near your entry doors?)
Depending on a lot of factors, is there any way to know or find out if these are pet cats that are allowed to roam, or strays?
Also, if possible, block much visual access to the outdoors where the cats like to visit as possible. The simple sight of a strange cat can trigger some to begin marking.
Thanks for your reply. Can you recommend a good marking deterrent please? These are neighbour cats. One of our neighbours had a huge fat Ragdoll X who was coming directly to our alfresco door scaring my cats. He also got in fights with our cats. I had to chase him away a few times and called Council but they weren't helpful. He was so big and aggressive I would be even afraid to pick him up. These people have now moved out. I should have talked to them from the beginning, their cat caused so much stress to my cats.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Amazon.com

This has very mixed reviews online to keep cats away, but I did use it around a small area to keep the outdoor cats from coming too near the back door and getting my territorial girl too upset. I found it helped but it does take re-applications.

Amazon.com

I've misted the inside and outside of the door to prevent marking or spraying with good results with the above product.
But with the first product, it does take re-application.
I hope this helps.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Amazon.com

This has very mixed reviews online to keep cats away, but I did use it around a small area to keep the outdoor cats from coming too near the back door and getting my territorial girl too upset. I found it helped but it does take re-applications.

Amazon.com

I've misted the inside and outside of the door to prevent marking or spraying with good results with the above product.
But with the first product, it does take re-application.
I hope this helps.
Thank you so much!