Problems with cats after long vet visit

acats88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! This is my first post. I'm currently waiting on either an IBD or lymphoma diagnoses on my 7 year old momma's boy black and white kitty. :-( He has been at the vet on and off for a week but he's been home since Friday afternoon.

My question is about my very sweet but also sometimes very mean calico (we love her a lot). She's having a hard time with Phantom being home. She didn't like him being gone but now she will hiss at him any time she sees him. They normally get along fine.

He does have to wear a cone and I'm sure he smells funny but do you all have any recommendations to help her feel better about him being home without stressing him out too much?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Poor boy! Lots of 
for a good diagnosis.

Since he's been gone so long and almost certainly smells different, one thing you could try doing is a bit of re-introduction. Give him his own room or space to chill, especially if the poor boy has a cone, and swap items with his scent out to her so she can get re-adjusted to him being back. Once he's feeling a bit better, maybe try giving them treats together, so she can not only get used to his presence again, but can start to associate him with pleasant things (like treats!) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acats88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help!! I separated them while I was at work yesterday, and that seemed to help a lot. Twix didn't hiss at Phantom once. We have also been giving her a lot of praise and attention when she sniffs him without hissing. I haven't been doing treats since I'm not sure what kind are safe for Phantom yet, but I have been giving them both wet food exclusively which my chubby little Twix is loving.

I'm hoping for good test results too. Phantom is my little Momma's boy so I'm pretty broken up and worried. 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It's rough when they're not well (I know I'm a basket case when my guys are ill), but it sounds like you're doing everything your can for him.

I'm glad things are working out. Often after long vet stays, it's a combination of one cat not feeling great, and likely a little cranky as a result, and one being thrown off by the new smells and the fact that their friend isn't acting like they'd expect.

Hopefully things continue to go smoothly for them and his results are good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acats88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His results and a second opinion both came back IBD!! I'm so relieved it isn't cancer and now I feel like we can move forward. I hope they both calm down now that I'll be a little less of a basket case.

Thank you for your help!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

His results and a second opinion both came back IBD!! I'm so relieved it isn't cancer and now I feel like we can move forward. I hope they both calm down now that I'll be a little less of a basket case.

Thank you for your help!
good news

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried scent swapping? It can be done with a towel. You wipe down each cat with a different towel. Then you switch towels and do the same. They then have the same smells...

I saw that on Jackson Galaxy. It worked for him....

Also I am a believer in Feliway..or Comfort Zone...

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you for your help!
Thank goodness! At least you have a direction to work in now. Good luck!