Problems introducing existing cat to new kitten

felvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So I'll probably give a bit too much detail here so sorry for that but thanks in advance!

So I have a 5yr old female tortoise shell named Pepper. I've had her since she was about 8 weeks old. She grew up with a male cat for the first few years but after that relationship ended Pepper and I have been on our own. She's very loving and kind towards me but has always been shy around strangers.

So I decided to get another cat so my partner has his own pet. I got her Xmas eve. She's got lots of energy and no problems at all really. I've got her own bedroom setup with everything she could want. I let her out for a few hours at a time and let her have a run of the house while Pepper is locked in our bedroom, she always likes to sleep there anyway. 

Now I tried introducing them by mistake on Boxing day (so she'd been here for 2 full days) and Pepper just hissed and moaned and stalked her around the house a bit. I separated them as Pepper would've tried to go at her. 

So I've had them separated since Mid boxing day. On the first few days Pepper walked around the house moaning and hissing constantly. Everytime the kitten would meow (and she meows in her room a lot) Pepper would get really upset. Everyday she seems to get better to where she generally ignores the meows. Sometimes she backtracks and has a few grumpy hours but I keep talking to her but not constantly trying to pet her either. Just giving her some space.

Now I think I made a mistake with food. Pepper always has food down. Shes really good at rationing herself. She'll grab a few bites and come back a few hours later for a few bites more. I brought her food up near the kitten room and had been creeping it ever closer and she sort of stopped eating. I think the kitten took some food on one of her romps and pepper could probably smell it so I've washed the dishes but still. She drinks her water but shes not eating. I've got some can food and I can get her to eat some but then she just kinda mucks around in it. She didn't poop in the last few days but just went now.

So my question is two fold. #1 is do you think I should get something like Feliway? Thinking if I can bring down her stress levels she might be interested in eating more. The last day she's been the best with not hissing but she'll come rub on me and then hiss at me so the stress still seems to be there.

The next question is when should I try to introduce them? I could keep this up for a few more weeks if needed. Right now really its the kitten crying in her room and Pepper stomping around and occasionally growling. Progress has slowed down quite a bit. I could put a babygate across the door and slightly open it but the kitten will just scream and pepper hiss im guessing. 

Thanks for the help! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

Basically, I think you've just tried to move too fast. Cat to cat introductions typically take weeks or (more often) months, not days. Move Pepper's food back to its original location, and let her just chill for a couple of days. Ideally, you want to be using her favourite canned food for the joint feedings, as it's generally smellier and more enticing.

Having them both on a feeding schedule could be really beneficial. Many owners offer canned food morning and night, and leave a little kibble out for snacking on in between (though this isn't strictly necessary). I'd be concerned that Pepper may be a little dehydrated at the moment - dehydration is often a contributing factor in constipation, and is far more common in cats with kibble only diet.

Getting Pepper eating again HAS to be a priority. Cats can get very sick very fast if they stop eating - it can take as little as 48hrs without food for hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) to set in.

Feliway is a great idea. If possible I'd go for the Multicat rather than the original, as it has two pheromones instead of one.

These articles should help explain the introduction process, as well as giving stress busting tips[article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="30987"][/article][article="32765"][CONTENTEMBED=/a/tips-to-increase-your-cat-s-water-intake layout=block][/article][/CONTENTEMBED][article="31129"][/article][article="29707"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="31127"][/article]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

felvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I've got feliway running right now. I'm going to try and keep her in my bedroom. Its her fav room and a stressfree zone. Got the multicat formula going. She will eat tuna and salmon cat treats but she wont eat tuna or salmon wet food. I don't get it. We've never spoiled her with treats but she loves these for some reason. Atleast it's getting some nutrition into her. Once I get her anxiety down she should get hungry. 

felvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So to update I kept moving the feliway to the room pepper was in. She zonked out around 330 and didn't move until 1am. She'll still eat treats so I give her 5-10 at a time. She was getting active around 5am this morning acting hungry. Just gave her some tuna and she ate! It wasn't that much but she did eat. 

She also seems to be coming around to being herself. Shes leaning into pets and following me around like normal. 

tammyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope Pepper go back to her normal self and get along with the kitten

felvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
24 hours later she's completely back to normal! Spent yesterday hand feeding her treats and by the night she was eating food by hand and then I got her eating it out of her bowl and it was empty this morning. She just polished it off when I fed her a moment ago.

Problem is she doesn't seem interested in her Orijen anymore. She'll eat Whiskas (eew gross) and Royal Canin (not much better). Either way she's eating. Maybe I'll let her have the little bag of Royal Canin and transition her back or if she hates Orijen that much I'll get her some of the fish stuff instead of the chicken. She loves fish lol.

Next step is working on the introductions again.. maybe next week. Thinking baby gate across the door and stapling a blanket around the doorframe so they only have the small window of vision. that way pepper can come and go from seeing her at will. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great to hear that Pepper is back to normal :clap:

The baby gate setup you describe is more suitable for when you're further along with thing introduction process. Stick with scent swapping for now. Don't even think about bringing in any kind of visual until Pepper will eat calmly and happily by the closed door.

Introductions take time, and there really isn't a timescale. It's far better to go slow than to have to repair things after rushing. Be patient. They will accept each other in time.

felvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah thats the current plan. I dont have much of a timeframe aslong as progress is being made. I just went in and took all my guitar stuff out of the kitten room so she had the run of the place for a bit and Pepper has been cautiously running around. She went right upto the kitten door and the kitten meowed a few times and Pep hissed twice and had a low growl but thats about it. Good progress! 

felvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update! Pepper has been eating near her door for the last 3-4 days. She's very cautious and usually sneaks over when nobody is around. She's eating atleast. 

She's mostly normal towards me. The odd time she acts fine and a few pets in she gives a soft hiss. Any tips on where to go from here? I feel no real progress is being made. I've been giving her socks that have been rubbed on the kittens neck and she just smells and ignores them. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With the scent sock, be sure to focus on the cheeks, chin and jaw area - that's where the 'friendly' pheromones are produced. Be sure to scent swap both ways too ;)

Really great that Pepper's back to normal, and is eating near the door again. You need her to be relaxed and confident about eating by the door before moving forward.

Ideally, you want to supervise the joint feedings - both so you can monitor progress and give praise/reassurance as needed. This is where having a feeding schedule can really work in your favour. If that isn't practical, then at least try using a treat (such as plain cooked meat or plain meat baby food - just be sure to avoid ones with garlic/onions in them) to create a really positive association with the kitten. You need each cat simultaneously eating right up by the closed door (and staying relaxed) consistently before introducing any level of visual exposure. I know I keep saying it, but stay patient. It sounds like you're making good progress. Think baby steps ;)

felvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sucks but I don't think there is anyway I'll ever get Pepper on a feeding time. I could starve her and feed her and she'd eat 3 bites and walk away and come back an hour later. My partner messaged me saying she's extra cranky today, seems like because her food is so close to the kittens door so this is a good thing. Hopefully she continues to chill over the next few days and we can proceed. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In that case, have her kibble in a place she's comfortable, and use the treat option 2-3 times a day for the door work. I know it might seem counterintuitive, but you need to be part of the door feedings. Pepper needs your support, and you need to see how she's doing. Treats may be the way forward for you.