Problems After Problems: Neutering, Tooth Infection, And Diarrhea

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been going through the toughest part of my journey as a cat parent. Recently, Kirby had to take a visit to the vet to get neutered and get one of his canines pulled (it was snapped when I first got him and the root canal was sticking out).

Our first problems began when he had to stay overnight at the vet because of the excessive swelling and bleeding in his neutered area. I was unable to get a clear explanation from the vet (i had asked them 3 times and each time I was given a different answer)

Upon returning, he did not eat much and did not use the bathroom regularly. He would poop but it would take him at least 2 days to do so whereas before he would go daily.

Then, during a follow-up appointment, we found that the sutures in his mouth (they created a flap to cover the hole of his tooth after they removed it) had prematurely fallen out. I was then told that he has an infection in that area and been provided a liquid antibiotic. After he had taken this liquid antibiotic, he started experiencing diarrhea. This had matted all over his fur and he's been unwilling to let me clean it, but also it's so stuck to his fur that I cannot get it off.

I took him back to the vet and the vet never told me what was the cause of this but instead prescribed me a probiotic (proviable-forte) and another antibiotic (metronidazole) in addition to his liquid antibiotic (clindamycin drops).

I'm all out of options right now, frustrated and feeling all kinds of emotions. I don't know what to do and I'm at the end of my rope. It's not just the jacked up vet bills I'm dealing with right now but the lack of responses from the vet. I would like some advice, or if your baby has experienced this before I would like some reassurance. Thank you all

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wild guessing here but I'm wondering if something is wrong with the stitches that they use in this practice? Also, some cats can also be allergic to self dissolving stitches - did they use those?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wild guessing here but I'm wondering if something is wrong with the stitches that they use in this practice? Also, some cats can also be allergic to self dissolving stitches - did they use those?
Yes, they used self-dissolving stitches. I brought up that concern, but i was written off and was told that this was okay. I feel like it isn't though and he's just getting worse by the minute and just losing a lot of weight right now

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. At this point, please look for another vet (not within the same group as your current one). You can get copies of all Kirby's records to give to a new vet, that hopefully will help reduce the number of redundant tests/costs.

When you can't get a straight answer from a vet, it is time to find someone else who will actually work with you/talk with you to make sure you understand what is going on.

Antibiotics can cause diarrhea, just so you know. But, a good vet should offer some temporary solutions for that. Additionally, a neutering that is done well would not normally create the problems your little guy has/had. And, if for some reason, there are/were extenuating circumstances, they should have explained that to you as well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to say so, but this all sounds about right. It should also all be temporary.

Krista's first poop after anesthesia is always a difficult one. It probably took an extra day because I'm sure you had instructions to fast Kirby at least 12 hours before dental procedure.

Antibiotics is going to soup his poops. No way around that. Spare your carpets and get an extra litterbox even just temporarily. There's only so many runny poops he's going to take before he starts blaming the box. Probiotics can help but they need to be given separately from the antibiotics so that one doesn't overwhelm the other. Normally I would suggest pumpkin for the diarrhea but that can absorb the antibiotics making them less available and less effective.

Why two different antibiotics? I understand the clindamycin for the mouth but is it not also effective for the neuter site as well? Absolutely keep giving the clindamycin until the course is up. You don't want the mouth infection getting down into the bone. It can affect other teeth that way and then your bills will really add up. But the metro? How much longer do you have to give that? Ask the vet if it is not already being addressed by the clindamycin?

When he's off of antibiotics, keep giving the probiotic until his poops return to normal. This is also when you can give him pumpkin to also help firm up his poops.

As long as there are no further issues with his mouth, hopefully you should be back to normal within a week of discontinuing the antibiotics. Hang in there!

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. At this point, please look for another vet (not within the same group as your current one). You can get copies of all Kirby's records to give to a new vet, that hopefully will help reduce the number of redundant tests/costs.

When you can't get a straight answer from a vet, it is time to find someone else who will actually work with you/talk with you to make sure you understand what is going on.

Antibiotics can cause diarrhea, just so you know. But, a good vet should offer some temporary solutions for that. Additionally, a neutering that is done well would not normally create the problems your little guy has/had. And, if for some reason, there are/were extenuating circumstances, they should have explained that to you as well.
Honestly, I am planning to find a new vet. I'm just so tired of being told different things or being kept under the wraps.

Also, very new cat owner here, so I had no idea antibiotics could cause diarrhea. I wish the vet would have informed me of the side effects instead of having me pay for multiple appointments concerning this issue.

My heart hurts for my Kirby because he has just endured a lot. I'm upset but also thank you so much for reaching out. I appreciate you and this has brought me great comfort.

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, but this does NOT sound right to me.
Right!! I was so scared because I kept pressuring the vet to explain to me why this was happening because from what I heard neutering were supposed to be an easy procedure.

I was told these 3 different things on each time i asked. It was either "his age" which is bullshit because he's only like 1-2 years, "the size of his testes" again, bullshit because he's only 1-2 years, and "sometimes these complications come up" but not like this.

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to say so, but this all sounds about right. It should also all be temporary.

Krista's first poop after anesthesia is always a difficult one. It probably took an extra day because I'm sure you had instructions to fast Kirby at least 12 hours before dental procedure.

Antibiotics is going to soup his poops. No way around that. Spare your carpets and get an extra litterbox even just temporarily. There's only so many runny poops he's going to take before he starts blaming the box. Probiotics can help but they need to be given separately from the antibiotics so that one doesn't overwhelm the other. Normally I would suggest pumpkin for the diarrhea but that can absorb the antibiotics making them less available and less effective.

Why two different antibiotics? I understand the clindamycin for the mouth but is it not also effective for the neuter site as well? Absolutely keep giving the clindamycin until the course is up. You don't want the mouth infection getting down into the bone. It can affect other teeth that way and then your bills will really add up. But the metro? How much longer do you have to give that? Ask the vet if it is not already being addressed by the clindamycin?

When he's off of antibiotics, keep giving the probiotic until his poops return to normal. This is also when you can give him pumpkin to also help firm up his poops.

As long as there are no further issues with his mouth, hopefully you should be back to normal within a week of discontinuing the antibiotics. Hang in there!
Yes, I was told not to give him food before the visit. I was instructed by my vet to give him the probiotics in with his wet food (because that's all he can eat right now) but I do feel bad because he is currently taking 3 medications right now and i'm afraid it's overwhelming his little body.

I'm not exactly sure why 2 antibiotics. The vet never clearly answered my questions besides "he needs it for his diarrhea". I'm supposed to give 1/2 metro twice a day until finished. I have 5 pills left to give him for that. I will give them another call here in a second to ask if it's not being addressed by the clindamycin.

Thank you for all the advice. this is really helpful and really giving me a peace of mind. The hard part right now is how to deal with all the dried stool on his anus region. He won't let me touch it anymore and I've cleaned most of it off his tail and near his anus but I think it might be painful for him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of what Kirby has been through can be treated and corrected. Have faith!! :hangin:
Yes, Kirby could be a rare exception with the - oh, I think about a - 5 minute neuter procedure. And, they should have explained it to you better as to why the complications might happen - especially if they want to contribute to his 'age'. There are generally reasons for complications, and they usually know what they are.

But, yes, give it up on this vet - endure what you have to with them (while still finding another to give Kirby's records to) - and I hope you can find another one that is better.

Kirby is already better - just by having such a loving, dedicated caretaker!!!

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of what Kirby has been through can be treated and corrected. Have faith!! :hangin:
Yes, Kirby could be a rare exception with the - oh, I think about a - 5 minute neuter procedure. And, they should have explained it to you better as to why the complications might happen - especially if they want to contribute to his 'age'. There are generally reasons for complications, and they usually know what they are.

But, yes, give it up on this vet - endure what you have to with them (while still finding another to give Kirby's records to) - and I hope you can find another one that is better.

Kirby is already better - just by having such a loving, dedicated caretaker!!!
Aww, thank you so so much. I honestly have felt so alone through this whole debacle, but I'm so glad to have a community here to talk this through. You all are amazing. I appreciate you so much

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think what the vet meant by his age is that I believe kittens are usually neutered younger. At 1-2, that's like neutering a teenager.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they used self-dissolving stitches. I brought up that concern, but i was written off and was told that this was okay. I feel like it isn't though and he's just getting worse by the minute and just losing a lot of weight right now
That right there is what pisses me off the most, you brought up a concern and they brushed it off like you're an idiot and they're not, so stop asking questions.
If they know for sure that the stitches aren't causing problems, why the heck can't they tell you what IS causing these problems?
:angryfire: Vets are supposed to be someone we trust and can work with. I can't work with someone who thinks I'm an idiot even though they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to diagnosing something mysterious in my animal. I'm sorry you're dealing with this crock of crap, check around and you'll find a good vet that has some passion for the work and people skills to back it up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The hard part right now is how to deal with all the dried stool on his anus region. He won't let me touch it anymore and I've cleaned most of it off his tail and near his anus but I think it might be painful for him.
It might be irritated from the diarrhea. Do you have someone to help you? You could lay him on a towel, after preparing at least one tub of warm water (two if you think you could get away with actually using some sensitive skin soap), along with a soft, soft washcloth - maybe a few. Get the washcloth really wet and gently wipe his behind as much as you can. If he will stay still (or someone can help you hold him), rinse out the towel or just use another, to continue to wipe away as much as you can. Then hold him and his booty in a dry towel to help get most of the moisture out. You can also try feeding him some yummy treats while this is going, and if not then, at least when are holding him to try to get the area dry in the towel.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hard part right now is how to deal with all the dried stool on his anus region. He won't let me touch it anymore and I've cleaned most of it off his tail and near his anus but I think it might be painful for him.
When I needed to give Krista's poopfoot a clean, I found it easier if I got next to her, and lifted her back legs off the ground, while pressing her body gently into my mine (like a football with feet.) You can only get so much resistance when they are in a handstand. You are also only going to get so much cooperation before he wiggles away. Use pet safe wet wipes and good luck. Or you may just take him into the groomers for a rear shave since you know he's got so many more days of soup poops.

Last edited:

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree with others on this board that antibiotics can cause diarrhea Also, antibiotics can also cause upset stomach and/or loss of appetite.

I know that you are frustrated but if you are not getting clear answers or there is a lack of direct communication with your vet, I think you should consider going to another vet and getting a thorough examination for Kirby. Bring a written list of your questions and when the vet gives you answers, write them down for future reference. If you don't understand an answer, ask for clarification. Don't be shy. Remember, you are Kirby's voice and you are his advocate.

If I seem a bit strong in my wording, please know that as a retired nurse, I want the best for all patients, both human and animal, and sometimes we have to be assertive to get our needs met. Don't settle for vague answers to your questions or different answers each time you ask.

Sending lots of love to Kirby.

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree with others on this board that antibiotics can cause diarrhea Also, antibiotics can also cause upset stomach and/or loss of appetite.

I know that you are frustrated but if you are not getting clear answers or there is a lack of direct communication with your vet, I think you should consider going to another vet and getting a thorough examination for Kirby. Bring a written list of your questions and when the vet gives you answers, write them down for future reference. If you don't understand an answer, ask for clarification. Don't be shy. Remember, you are Kirby's voice and you are his advocate.

If I seem a bit strong in my wording, please know that as a retired nurse, I want the best for all patients, both human and animal, and sometimes we have to be assertive to get our needs met. Don't settle for vague answers to your questions or different answers each time you ask.

Sending lots of love to Kirby.
Not at all! I appreciate your frankness and honesty. Thank you so much