Problem

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might be a bit weird,but these are the balls of my stray cat that I take care of.I try my best to take care of him,even if my parents don't let me take him to the vet.But I noticed his balls right now.They're Pink,and have Brown spots around them.Is This a sign of something?Im scared of something happening to him or him having a urinal infection.Can anyone help me out?

Attachments

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks like flea dirt (poop from fleas). Take a wet white paper towel and gently rub the area. If the paper towel turns a reddish color, then it's more than likely flea dirt. Since he is an outside feral cat, fleas would be a super common issue.

He needs to be put on a flea preventative that kills both eggs and adult fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ill try and what would you recommend for flea treatment?I did try a flea collar but I did not feel safe using it.Ill try to convince my parents to buy me a treatment

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Ill try and what would you recommend for flea treatment?I did try a flea collar but I did not feel safe using it.Ill try to convince my parents to buy me a treatment
Do NOT use any Hartz products, ever.

I agree, a collar on an outside cat could cause him issues if he were to get snagged.

A good over the counter option would be Advantage. You need to know the cat's weight in order to get an accurate dosage. This link is for cats 9lbs and up, but the box at Walmart or wherever you get it from will clearly state what weight range the dose is.

ADVANTAGE II Flea Treatment for Large Cats Over 9 lbs (Free Shipping) | Chewy

Perhaps you could offer to pay for it, or do some additional chores/help around the house in exchange for them buying it? Just a thought. :)

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks,and just a question,would a flea spray bottle work?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks,and just a question,would a flea spray bottle work?
No, that's not a good idea. Cats don't like to be sprayed and you'd have to thoroughly saturate his fur to kill the fleas and eggs. Get some Revolution, some Frontline or some Advantage.

REVOLUTION Topical Solution for Cats, 5.1-15 lbs, (Blue Box), 6 Doses (6-mos. supply) - Chewy.com

Amazon.com : Advantage II 6-Dose Large Cat Flea Prevention, Flea Prevention for Cats, Over 9 Pounds : Pet Flea Drops : Pet Supplies

FRONTLINE® for Cats | Flea and Tick Protection for cats

These ones are the safest and most effective for your cat. If he's an outdoor cat he will need to be treated every 30 days. It works out a lot more expensive to care for an outdoor cat than an indoor cat, because they pick up so many parasites and are more vulnerable to disease and accidents.

Are your parents really against the idea of bringing him indoors and keeping him as your pet?

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean they do let me feed him and my dad pretende to hate him,(even though he gives him food when I'm not looking.But Yeah,mostly because of fleas and hes a longhair and leaves a lot of hair behind.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution requires a vet's prescription. I don't know about the others.

I mean they do let me feed him and my dad pretende to hate him,(even though he gives him food when I'm not looking.But Yeah,mostly because of fleas and hes a longhair and leaves a lot of hair behind.
Get a flea comb. They are not expensive, and combing him with it will remove a lot of loose hair as well as remove fleas. You can get one at a pet store.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Long haired cats can be a lot of work, but they don't shed that much if you take proper care of him. You definitely need to treat him for fleas and ticks. Even if he is an outdoor only cat these parasites can hitch a ride on your shoes or clothes and end up inside your house.

A proper diet of canned food, rather than cheap dry food, will keep his coat in good condition. Does he like to be brushed? I use these kinds of combs and brushes on my long haired cats. You can get them in the dollar store. Regular brushing stops him shedding all over the house.

1622344806506.png

1622344849089.png

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I Actually have one,and I do try to remove some fleas with it,and I sometimes do,then I drown them in dish soap,but I mostly remove flea dirt.

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But Still,they dont allow me,because even of that,they are mostly scared of him leaving scratch marks everywhere

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But Still,they dont allow me,because even of that,they are mostly scared of him leaving scratch marks everywhere
He needs some scratching boxes. There are inexpensive cardboard ones at pet stores that my cats love. There are scratching posts, too, made of sisal rope, but they are more expensive. Whatever you get, the cat will love it and leave the furniture alone. Mine will actually run across the room to the scratcher box.

Sounds like you've gotten yourself a cat. :heartshape: