Problem with one eye?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been blinking her right eye and seems to have a hard time keeping it open without discomfort. When I look at it there is no discoloration or discharge of any kind, it looks its usual color. Maybe just a tad bit watery. She is sitting with this eye shut right now, She can open it if she needs to, but then she goes back to blinking and shutting it, again out of discomfort.

I only noticed in the last hour, Both her eyes were fine before that, though.

The vet doesn't open until later in the day and I'll probably call them when they do to see what to do, but just wanted to see if there's any way I can help in the meanwhlie or any guesses as to what is going on? Does she just have something in her eye? Any other possibilities?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She may have scratched it. She may have got something stuck in there or she may be starting with an eye infection.

Taking her to the vet is the best idea, but while you wait for them to open you could try making her a chamomile tea eye bath. Use plain German Chamomile tea. Brew the tea and let cool, then soak some cotton wool balls in the tea and use that to gently bathe her sore eye. It will wash out anything that might have got lodged in their and help the discomfort.

Make sure she sees a vet though, in case it's anything more serious.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 knows all about how to use chamomile tea.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normally I suggest actually chilling the tea, but for her eye, room temp is what you want. Now, IF you have some artificial tears with NO ADDITIVES, you can use that, but NOT Visine or some other "get the red out" product. PLAIN artificial tears or normal saline drops. This does not take the place of your vet visit, even if it seems to help. A scratched cornea can become infected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I recieved similar advice from the vet over the phone and ended up getting eye drops specially for cats. Her eye turned out fine. Thank you for all the advice!