Problem possibly caused by anxiety in cat

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat, Leo, that has a hard time accepting other cats. He is a big, strong, dominant cat and could hurt other cats. And right now he really cannot accept a cat that I have, Tiger, a cat that has been abused before I got him and is always a little afraid.

Leo instantly bonded to me when I got him. It seemed that I immediately belonged to him. He is devoted to me and treats me great. But shortly after I got him, he developed ringworm and had to be isolated. He hated being away from me when he was isolated. I kept him in the bedroom, read in there and slept with him every night, but I don't think that was enough for him. When he got over the ringworm, I was having health problems and was not able to pay enough attention to him. He would rub against me and I would not notice until he had walked off - I was kinda out of it. He got the short end of the stick for a year or so, until I got over that health problem. Now I shower him with love. He does the same to me. But I think the first year I had him was stressful for him.

When I got Tiger, I spent much time with him for eight straight days, as he had given up, his eyes had no color showing and he was not eating. Leo did not get in the bedroom in that time. Possibly a mistake on my part, as it seems to have really upset Leo. Leo wants Tiger gone. Or worse.

Leo runs around seeming stressed when I have Tiger in the bedroom. After I put Tiger up, Leo runs around checking where Tiger was and making sure he is not out. Leo has a bit of a wild look in his eyes at that time. The nights Tiger spends in the bedroom - 40% of nights - Leo has hurt feelings and pouts. But Tiger is a sweet loving cat and needs to spend time with me.

Any ideas what a solution to this problem might be? A TCS member suggested that Leo might be suffering from anxiety. I'm thinking that might be it. Has anyone had an experience like this and can make suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you doing/have you done anything in the way of introductions - such as using the article provided above? If not, then I think Leo's real issue is 'what the heck is going on?' He knows there is another cat but from I understand of your post, it doesn't seem like there has been any sort of introduction process. He doesn't sound so much like he is running around to make sure Tiger is not out, but rather taking in all the smells and trying to understand an arrangement that means he isn't getting the same level of attention as before while knowing there 'is something else going on'.

Maybe letting us know what you have done so far regarding introductions would help us to home in on adjustments/changes to the process? Also, if you haven't already seen this - maybe some other ideas in this TCS article?
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
Are you using any calming products?

How are they during the day, do they interact at all?

Have you utilized any of the methods mentioned in this article regarding introducing them?
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
I used Feliway for a year or so. Leo became more affectionate, but still did not accept Tiger.

I have tried the introduction methods suggested in the article. I have a garden trellis I secure across a door and feed them on other sides of it. I feed them snacks at the trellis too. Swapped rooms to get them used to each other's smell. Swapped articles of clothing in their rooms. I have used toys with them on other sides of the trellis. I have a cage in the living room where I place Tiger to let Leo get used to him. I have tied a blanket over one end of the cage to give Tiger a safe spot, but even so, Leo has injured Tiger through the bars of the cage so badly Tiger had to go to the vets. If there is any introduction method that I haven't tried that someone can suggest, I am willing to try it. I'm not sure what else I can do as far as introductions.

I think Tiger's fear is a problem and the fear triggers attacks from Boden and Seal also, though I can have them together unsupervised as their attacks are short lived. Tiger wants to run and hide which triggers prey drive in other cats. If he does not run, he does cower in fear, which perhaps triggers prey drive also. Tiger was badly abused and he was definitely badly injured and perhaps the fear will be with him always. He only has three legs which might make him seem odd to the other cats too. This has been going on for years, with me constantly trying to get Leo used to and accepting of Tiger with the introduction methods suggested above. But Leo seems constantly outraged by Tiger's presence.

Are you doing/have you done anything in the way of introductions - such as using the article provided above? If not, then I think Leo's real issue is 'what the heck is going on?' He knows there is another cat but from I understand of your post, it doesn't seem like there has been any sort of introduction process. He doesn't sound so much like he is running around to make sure Tiger is not out, but rather taking in all the smells and trying to understand an arrangement that means he isn't getting the same level of attention as before while knowing there is something else going on.

Maybe letting us know what you have done so far regarding introductions would help us to home in on adjustments/changes to the process? Also, if you haven't already seen this - maybe some other ideas in this TCS article?
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite
Introductions addressed above.

I read the article on jealousy a while back. I have tried not to intervene in the attacks, but Tiger has been sent to the vets by Leo's attacks several times. Throwing water on them (vet's suggestion) has not stopped the attack. Unfortunately, this has happened with another cat I had here. I have never seen cat fights like that! The area several feet around them was soaking wet with saliva they flung out! I had to rehome that cat. Leo would hide near the door and try to run into the room with the other cat and attack. I suspect Leo would eliminate these cats if he had the chance. Leo gets along with Boden and Seal OK, but there is some redirected aggression towards them when Tiger is in the bedroom. I have six litter boxes and Leo gets plenty of food. Tiger is so fearful! But he is a very, very sweet cat. That article suggests removing the object of jealousy. I'm not sure that is reasonable here, as Tiger is the object. Tiger was crashing when I brought him home. It took time and effort to bring him around and now he is extremely devoted to me. I have been advised by a knowledgeable TCS member that rehoming a cat like that can be difficult.

I tried getting them together and in just a few seconds, there was fur everywhere from Leo's attack. A few days later, I accidently had Leo and Tiger in the bedroom together. Leo got into the bedroom unbeknown to me. When I went into the bedroom, Leo left. Tiger was on the floor and seemed unhurt. He was shaken by the experience and has not been as cuddly since them. There was a bit of a scuffle as a cabinet door was open and some litter was scattered. Perhaps there is hope. But right now I fear for Tiger's well-being when they get together.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep them separated as a consistent permanent situation?
There are folks on this site that keep certain cats they have permanently separated because of issues like this. That may be your answer with Tiger. :sigh:

Yes, isolation has been the solution so far. But I feel bad for Tiger, of course. He spends too much time alone and he needs company. He is sooo affectionate and sooo sweet. I love him very much. And of course, I love Leo very much too. I am still wondering if anxiety is a problem with Leo and perhaps there is some solution there. I will see the vet next week and I will discuss it with her.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Making sure that each child gets equal attention is every parent’s challenge.
I am in the introduction phase with a new furmonster, and have to remember to spend time on both sides of whichever door is the current barrier. Can definitely be tricky.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps, the vet will recommend some kind of calming med for Leo for you to try. But you have issues with the other cats as well.

If not that, and you have the room/space, you could always get Tiger his own buddy?? I don't often (if ever) suggest something like that, but you want to keep all your cats and at the same time make Tiger happy too.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps, the vet will recommend some kind of calming med for Leo for you to try. But you have issues with the other cats as well.

If not that, and you have the room/space, you could always get Tiger his own buddy?? I don't often (if ever) suggest something like that, but you want to keep all your cats and at the same time make Tiger happy too.

A buddy for Tiger is a good Idea, but I have five cats now. Including an incorrigible bully, Diamond, that has to be isolated. I will think about it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never recommend the cage method because it can be very stressful for the one in the cage.

Keep intros at a blocked off door if you can.

How do your other cats react to Tigger?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I never recommend the cage method because it can be very stressful for the one in the cage.

Keep intros at a blocked off door if you can.

How do your other cats react to Tigger?
I think the cats that have to be isolated are happier in the cage and with everyone than isolated alone. Is it perfect? No. But very little in life is.

I think Tiger's fear is a problem and the fear triggers attacks from Boden and Seal also, though I can have them together unsupervised as their attacks are short lived.
Boden and Seal are getting to the point where there is not as much hissing and swatting.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW had no idea you had quite so many cats! Hope this goes well but also wonder if Tiger might need his own permanent solo safe space (assuming that’s a possible!). I have only ever had 1 cat…well, with kind of an overlap from my granddad’s cat, so don’t have much advice other than I think you are right that Tiger’s emotional scars might take a long time to heal, if ever.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my cat Maggie and coco. Maggie gets jealous and gets stressful, Coco is very timid. I sprained my ankle last year so I was not able to give Maggie attention for 6 weeks. When I got better I tried spending lots of time with her.eventually things got better

Peaches does not like maggie though their sleeping together. Coco is by herself on the couch with them!
20230411_141413.jpg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the cats that have to be isolated are happier in the cage and with everyone than isolated alone. Is it perfect? No. But very little in life is.
I don't understand this sentence sorry.

Doing introductions with a cage rather than through a door where both cats can back off increases stress and anxiety.

In a pinch if this was someone's only option, I would say yes go for it. But I would honestly recommend them to watch non-separation introductions first because then the cat is not confined to the stressful situation with no way to back off and destress.

Most cats don't like to be confined and being confined causes stress. So confining them during a stressful situation like an introduction could cause them to associate that stress and fear that they can't escape from to the other cat, or to their human. Either way, it breaks down a relationship.

But yes, if you need a cat confined to a cage for a health reason, and they have already been introduced to the other free roaming pets in the home, I'm sure they would prefer to be confined in the same room as their family. I did this when Lily needed confined for safety.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiger’s emotional scars might take a long time to heal, if ever.
You may be right. He had a very tough time. And it may well be that he will always fear other cats. He is very affectionate with me, but sometimes becomes fearful and swats me, though less and less as time goes by.