Problem-child cat.... help? :D

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our one-year-old cat has been with us for about four months - she walked into our kitchen through an open window one snowy night right before Thanksgiving. Before that, she lived outside for a (little?) while with two other stray cats and wasn't really friendly or interested in making friends with us. We fed them some dog food and the like.

She's anything but a cat you read about in feline books (she's our first one, so we have nothing to compare). She wants, actually demands company and attention. She sleeps with us. She rests between us on our desk while we're at our computers. She waits at the door when we're coming home. She brushes her teeth, usually on her own, by holding onto her toothrbrush. She comes, for the most part, when you call her name. She's the cutest thing ever, yet she is so demanding that, for the most part, I am at a loss when it comes to tending to her needs.

She sleeps a lot, but always makes sure to be awake and alert when there is any sign of food being passed around. Actually, she'll do anything she can to steal that food, no matter how hard you try to prevent her from getting even close. She doesn't like it, but she'll grin and bear when you point a spray bottle towards her. She'll sneak to your plate, pretend she's not interested and then, all of a sudden, she'll grab something and run away with her prey. She is not hungry, or at least shouldn't be, judging by the foods we give her.

She often picks her food from her food basket (if you're not offering her dinner when she thinks it's dinner time, she'll go dig into her food stash). She opens containers cats shouldn't be able to open. She opens closets. She loves closets, whatsoever.

She doesn't like cat toys, especially anything ball-shaped or ball-like. A bit smarter toys, such as that feeding egg thing, she can tolerate (if there's food in it). She'll jump after a toy hanging off a wand and occasionally wrestle a kickeroo. She will, however, run around like a lunatic on her own, while trying to wrestle me (for some reason, she doesn't think my husband, also, is her toy) or bite my behind or calves. Running and hiding from me and then jumping out of the shadows is her other favourite activity. She is a loud, meowy cat. She doesn't care about our furniture, plants, or anything else cats tend to scratch and/or destroy. She has her claws and we only trim them occasionally.

She goes to bed when we do and sleeps with us. And this is where the biggest trouble of all starts - she wakes up at least an hour before my alarm clock is set to go off. She'll then walk all over me (again, she'll never touch my husband), poke me with her paws (never with her claws!), grumble and do anything she can think of to get me out of the bed. Then I have to follow her to the kitchen and - feed her. This happens at 4 or 5 in the morning and she only gets a snack (which I deduct from her daily amount of food!). When my alarm clock gets me out of bed for work, there's the cat, running to the kitchen, and then waiting on the floor, on her back (this is what she just wrote, oops: -=------907777777777777777777777777777777777790), demanding 5-10 minutes of pet-play time and, of course, some more food. The food issues, I already described today in another thread.

What I keep wondering about is - what can one do about these night/early morning activities? I have been insanely tired for four months now and I am dying to figure out how to get her to leave me alone until I wake up. I can't and don't really want to lock her out of our bedroom, but even if I did, I think she'd claw her way in, or meow loud enough to wake up our entire neighbourhood.

Are all cats like this?
Can one train a cat?

We love this one dearly, but she is more than just a handful.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing to try is to lock her out of the room when she starts to pester you in the morning. She will claw and want back in, but she should learn that it is unacceptable to wake you up early for a snack. If you show her that food comes on a schedule, and nothing she does will interfere with that schedule, she should calm down and stop pestering you. Once she is on a better schedule, she won't have to be let out of the bedroom in the morning.

My kitten used to do the same thing, but now he knows that food comes after I wake up and take a shower. That way, even when I'm just starting to stir he wont come in and jump on me excessively.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sort of have the same problem, but I've learned to deal with it. Parker sleeps on the bed with me but an hour before I get up to feed the cats, he jumps off the bed and starts grooming. (His buck teeth make him smack his lips when he grooms. It wakes me up). I usually get up, half asleep and kick him out of the room, then go back to sleep. However, on some days he will knead his way up the bed and start nuzzling my face gently, then stare at me until I wake up.
I found it helps a bit if I give them a snack before I go to bed. Usually a small handful of dry food, so they aren't starving in the morning. Its true though, you don't need an alarm clock when you've got a cat.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a perfectly normal cat. My cat Beeba wakes me at 3 am. I get up and feed him and the others.

I just go to bed early at 8pm. That way, I get plenty of sleep. I know not everyone wants to turn in that early tho. How about putting out some food before you go to bed to tide her over till the morning.

My cats are always running around, playing their little games...jumping out at me. Your kitty is still young. The older she gets, the more sedate she will be. Cats do sleep tons. Up to 16 hours a day. So when they are awake they want to play. Spray bottles aren't a real good thing. You want your cat to trust and love you. IMO, a sb only drives a wedge between you and your cat. Get some cat catalogs...Drs. Foster and Smith have a good one. See what is out there for behavior remedies.

Be careful of the plants you have in your home....many are toxic to cats and especially Easter Lillys or anything with lilly in the name. Give her a scratching post or cat tree that she can climb and expend energy. Bird feeders will keep her amused too. Owning a cat sometimes means having clawed furniture. But there are remidies for that. Two sided sticky sheets are sold in pet stores. Keeping her nails trimmed also is important.

Hope we helped. PS is she spayed?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on being Chosen by a cat!

It's all normal cat behavior.

She has Trained you to get up and feed her in the middle of the night.

Stop getting up. Any kind of attention from you is reinforcing this behavior. Ignore her.

I do not feed my cats first thing in the morning, they wait over an hour, so they do not associate me getting up with meal time.

Welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help!

I've been thinking about feeding her right before I go to bed (it's usually between 11pm and 1am - best I can do with a shift-switching full time job and half time school), even though I expect her to just eat everything right away and forget about it, just so she could pester me all over again.

Last night I decided to ignore her and not get up. So I pretty much didn't sleep between 4am and 6:30, but at least she got nothing out of it either. She grumbled, meowed, scratched, pawed, clawed, jumped all over me... but yup, I did not get up. Hopefully, if we keep this routine, she'll learn a lesson.

She was spayed right after New Years and that made life with her bearable again. During her heat episode, I thought we were going to go nuts. Nobody slept at all. Now we're all fine and dandy.

She has a scratch post (the stick-pole thing) and carpeted areas she's free to use whenever she wants. And she does, which leaves all of our furniture intact. She's never been interested in touching any of it, except for one paper lamp, which she only pokes with literally one single claw whenever she wants our attention. It's kind of funny so we're not even trying to teach her not to (she doesn't seem to be interested in destroying it). We've been thinking about getting her a cat tree, but so far have not figured out where to put it.

She's being leash-trained and so far we've been able to go out a bit, around the house, on the deck and the like. She doesn't seem to care, except for the fact that she gets a bit scared outside. I find that to be a little bit weird because she lived outdoors at least for a few months (according to the vet, someone must've owned her before she found us and, well, dumped her out in the country where we lived at the time).

One another thing I don't understand at all - she really can't stand any other animals approaching our house, let alone getting in. Even the two cats she lived with (outside as a stray), she wouldn't let even anywhere close to the door once she moved in with us. She turns into a devil when she sees them - gets all puffed up, growls, hisses... and attacks whoever she can. I actually have scars on my hands because I held her up one time without noticing that another cat was about to come to the window. I wish this weren't the case, but oh well, I guess.

Even though we live in a peaceful neighbourhood (cul-de-sac) with barely any traffic, I am still too scared to let her freely wander around the house. We might change our minds later in spring, when all the snow is gone, but I doubt it. I keep thinking she'd either disappear, or something terrible would happen to her. She does have a microchip, though, as well as a tag with our contact information and her name on it.

As far as spray bottles go, that just sounded like the best advice that we've found so far. What's better than that and where can I find that information? Speaking of which, I'd be more than interested in acquiring and reading some cat-related literature, but so far I've found nothing that got past information such as: "Cats are furry animals with four legs, they eat food, destroy your things, are moody, won't play with you, blabla." If you have anything good to recommend, I'd really appreaciate it.

Thanks once more for all the help. I'm really liking this forum, it's full of useful information! (Especially when you are a cat-newbie like the two of us.
)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very territorial. That is HER house now, and though she may have shared living space with the other cats outside, she does not want them in HER territory.

Yes, it might take some time but ignoring her when she wakes you in the night is the right way to handle it.

Many cats who lived outside have no interest in ever going out again. Outside wasn't a nice place for her to be, so I think it's natural that she would feel frightened out there.

I wouldn't recommend ever letting her out on her own, ever. There are just too many things that can happen.

My cats are all harness trained. I take them out in a fenced yard and stay with them at all times. They drag their 8 foot lengths of lightweight polyrope behind them.

My Jennie was a rescued stray, she lived out side a very long time, I don't even know how long, she raised a family of four all on her own....after I rescued her she showed no interest in going outside at all, even when I took the other cats out. With time that passed and she does like to come out in the yard with me and the other cats now (wearing her harness), but not for many months.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS I mean to comment on this earlier where you said

She's anything but a cat you read about in feline books (she's our first one, so we have nothing to compare). She wants, actually demands company and attention. She sleeps with us. She rests between us on our desk while we're at our computers. She waits at the door when we're coming home. She brushes her teeth, usually on her own, by holding onto her toothrbrush. She comes, for the most part, when you call her name. She's the cutest thing ever, yet she is so demanding that, for the most part, I am at a loss when it comes to tending to her needs.
If you are reading books that are telling you that cats are unsocial or "independent" or "loners" throw the books away. Cats are social affectionate animals who love to be with their people, and other pets in the household.

The idea that cats are "low maintenance" and stand-offish is a fallacy that needs to be laid to rest.

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm learning they are anything but low maintenance. But that's okay, we've been enjoying pretty much all the time we've spent together so far. Even in the middle of night, she's insanely adorable (and it's usually me who ends up being grumpy, of course).

She's really curious to go out and tries to sneak out whenever we open the door, but then just stands there and doesn't move. We'll just keep practicing harness and leash instead. I am really not comfortable letting her out on her own.

As far as the books go, I don't really read any. Still looking for some recommendations.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First things first- welcome to the club of cat-owned humans whose cats are completely motivated by food!

My Peanut does the exact same thing, and it took us quite awhile to 'train' him. We would shut him out at night, and he'd yowl and bang on the door and rattle the knob and whatever he could think of- but after a few months, he finally seemed to realize that his behavior wouldn't get him fed any easier. We had to repeat the process each time we moved (three times- original apartment, second apartment, house), but each time it always stuck.

Peanut wakes up almost on the dot at 5:30 and comes up to paw at me, purr really loud, and basically demand attention. At that point I get up, snuggle him for a few seconds, then put him out of the room and shuts the door. He goes about his business and I don't hear another peep from him!

So- there is hope!! Good luck!

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I guess - no matter what, I won't be sleeping in ever again, grr!

runnerup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's probably quite annoying to you (who has to deal with it daily), but she sounds so adorable! I don't know where people (not you) get the idea that cats aren't affectionate and what not. They totally are, just not to everybody (that just makes us chosen ones special, right?).
As for the early morning wake ups, is it possible to leave out some dry food when you go to sleep? Or would she simply devour it all before going to sleep?
My cat sleeps on me nightly, but he never wakes me up. Most days he gets up when our alarm clock rings. There's a bowl of food nearby for him to nibble on if he so desires. I guess I'm lucky that he doesn't overeat with kibble left out.

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She'd eat a few pounds at once, I think, if she had access to it, so we have to monitor her food intake. I suppose she's still suffering from stray-outdoor-feeding-pattern, where she had to work and fight for her meals!

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, once I put him out he goes to do his own thing and I can go back to sleep! On the weekends, he even lets us be until nine or so... which is REALLY late for him, since he usually gets fed around seven. Maybe he understands how weekends work?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't care if others in your house are awakened, place the vacuum cleaner near your bed and turn it on, but leave it unplugged. When she starts in on bugging you, simply reach over and plug in the vacuum cleaner. She'll soon associate bugging you with the vacuum cleaner coming on and hopefully will stop bugging you until a more reasonable time.

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is not afraid of the vacuum cleaner. She actually follows me around when I clean.

Next, please?

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woohoo!

Kittica was given about 1/8 cup of kibble before my bedtime and she slept until my alarm clock went off. Or, well, in case she was awake, her playtime did not involve me.

I hope this was not just a coincidence! (Even though it might just confirm my suspicion that I was giving her too little food, hm.)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittica

Woohoo!

Kittica was given about 1/8 cup of kibble before my bedtime and she slept until my alarm clock went off. Or, well, in case she was awake, her playtime did not involve me.

I hope this was not just a coincidence! (Even though it might just confirm my suspicion that I was giving her too little food, hm.)
Excellent!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She is not afraid of the vacuum cleaner. She actually follows me around when I clean.

Next, please?
Well darn!! Silly cat!

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Next, please?
Oh gosh, your kitty is really brave! If I even take the vacuum out of the closet, Peanut disappears and we don't see him for at least four to six hours.
I'm glad feeding her a bit before bedtime worked, though!!