Probiotics

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have recommendations for a probiotic other than fortifloea? My cat is on her second round of antibiotics for sterile cystitis and I am thinking I should get some.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giving probiotics while she's taking antibiotics is counter-productive. The antibiotics are just going to kill them off. You don't want to throw higher doses of probiotics at this problem as the antibiotics have a job to do.

Try saccharomyces boulardii instead until she's done with the antibiotics. It's a yeast-based probiotic that won't be affected by the antibiotics.

This page has more details on s. boulardii:
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

The Jarrow brand is the gold standard as it has MOS, a beneficial prebiotic. When she's done with the antibiotics, the prebiotic will help regrow the good kind of gut bacteria.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Giving probiotics while she's taking antibiotics is counter-productive. The antibiotics are just going to kill them off. You don't want to throw higher doses of probiotics at this problem as the antibiotics have a job to do.

Try saccharomyces boulardii instead until she's done with the antibiotics. It's a yeast-based probiotic that won't be affected by the antibiotics.

This page has more details on s. boulardii:
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

The Jarrow brand is the gold standard as it has MOS, a beneficial prebiotic. When she's done with the antibiotics, the prebiotic will help regrow the good kind of gut bacteria.
Okay I will look into these. Is it usually a powder? Thank you

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I will look into these. Is it usually a powder? Thank you
It comes in capsules. You'll find it in a vitamin shop, pharmacy, or anywhere they sell human probiotics--possibly in the refrigerated section even though s. boulardii doesn't need to be refrigerated. You'll break open the capsule and mix into food or a lickable treat if she doesn't like the flavor. Krista liked the flavor well enough and would eat it straight or with a touch of water to make it more tacky like dough. Start with 1/2 a capsule twice a day. There's no upper limit on how much you can give. For a really stubborn clostridium infection, Krista was taking 1/2 capsule 4 times a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It comes in capsules. You'll find it in a vitamin shop, pharmacy, or anywhere they sell human probiotics--possibly in the refrigerated section even though s. boulardii doesn't need to be refrigerated. You'll break open the capsule and mix into food or a lickable treat if she doesn't like the flavor. Krista liked the flavor well enough and would eat it straight or with a touch of water to make it more tacky like dough. Start with 1/2 a capsule twice a day. There's no upper limit on how much you can give. For a really stubborn clostridium infection, Krista was taking 1/2 capsule 4 times a day.
Great thank you! My kitty doesn't have diarrhea buy I'm just trying to be proactive since this is her second course of antibiotics. The first was last month. Just want to protect her gut

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you give probiotics, don't give it at the same time as the antibiotics. Give it at least 2 hours before or after antibiotics.

Human probiotics and the S.boulardi metioned above come in capsules. You just open a capsule and sprinkle the powder directly into food. If you're not giving a full capsule at a time, the capsule can be put back together and saved for the next dose. Just don't put the partial capsule back into the bottle because you won't find it again. Label a baggie and put the partial capsule in there.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering, if it’s sterile cystitis, why is your cat getting antibiotics? Sterile literally means that there’s no bacterial infection present, and antibiotics kills bacteria, so not sure what the reasoning behind it was. It might be wiping out this precious gut flora for no reason at all.