Probiotics Or No?

Binxandlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello again everyone.

I have two raw fed cats. Binx is a male tuxedo, just two months shy of two years old. I have been feeding him raw since he was about 6 months old. Lilith is my 8 month old manx/bengal mix who I adopted from the SPCA in January and switched to a 100% raw diet about two months ago. Binx has always done well with raw and has had absolutely no issues. He took to it the very first time I put it in his bowl. Lily did as well, which I was happy about.

Even from the first day I brought Lily home, she's had some slight poop issues. As soon as I signed her adoption paperwork and picked her up to put in her carrier to go home, I noticed her poor butt was very inflamed and red. I didn't think to ask the shelter about it, but I really should have.

I assumed maybe she had an allergy to something in the food they were feeding her in the shelter (some sort of prescription science diet). I began feeding her grain free canned kitten food. Her poop issues became apparent pretty quickly. Every time she pooped, she'd have pretty bad diarrhea remnants on her bum. She has no tail, so it was easy to see. I would have to clean her up every time she used the litter box. I brought it up to her vet when I took her in for a check up, and he did not seem concerned. He chalked it up to her adjusting to a new home and a new diet. I accepted that answer at the moment. But even after about a month, she still had issues and I still needed to clean her butt after she used the litter box.

I thought maybe a switch to raw was in order. I began homemaking their food with raw ground turkey thighs. For a while, that seemed to work. Her poops were solid for the first time since I adopted her. But just recently, she's been having liquid poops again and it's becoming worrisome. She also cries like she's in pain whenever I have to wipe her butt.

I picked up probiotic treats on a whim at the pet store the other day, and gave her her first one today. I'm hoping it will help but I'm not sure it's what she needs.

Has anyone else had to supplement probiotics for their cats on a raw diet? Or should I consult my vet about this? I'm a little hesitant to do the latter, only because I know her vet does not support raw feeding and I know he'll most likely pin it on that.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely consult your vet asap. You need to be sure there's nothing else going on before you assume it's the diet alone. You can always contact the shelter too, and ask for any information they have about her poop issues. They should be happy to help :)

If you're not happy with your current vet, you can always seek a second opinion. I know there are vets out there who support raw feeding, so someone like that might be a better fit for you and your cats :dunno:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I agree with Columbine Columbine . Since she was already having solid poop and now has diarrhea she must be checked for any number of possible medical issues, including parasites. I wouldn't supplement her with anything at this point as adding more bacteria to her system may be the last thing she needs.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor gal, she's had diarrhea for so long her butt is sore; hence she feels it when you help clean her up. I agree, vet asap. Take in a poop sample so they can check it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of well wishes being sent your way! :vibes: :redheartpump:

I can imagine how sore Lily is, be really gentle cleaning her bottom! And ask the vet about an Rx ointment that can help with her soreness and inflammation there, called Animax ointment -- maybe your vet might think it could do some good here. aside: Don't use any product (like vaseline, etc), or medicine on her bottom without your vet's input and advice. I know my last cat had some bouts with diarrhea which made her bottom very inflamed and sore, and animax dabbed gently on there per vet's instructions did wonders for her healing and comfort-level. Diarrhea for kitties (or anyone!) is no fun.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probiotics aren't a cure-all for digestive issues :dunno: The vet should determine if there is an underlying cause for the poop issues.

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi binxandlily, any update on ur kitty?

My kitty previously had ćhronic diarrhoea due to parasite attack. He recovered but according to the vet, his digestive system becomes very sensitive and will get soft stool due to other foods given. The vet wanted my kitty to be on Hills id for lifetime. In my mind, I objected and tried him on a few other brands. My kitty is a food lover and will gobble up anything that smell nice. However his poo is not well-formed. I read up online and asked around, and finally use this probiotic Lintbells YudlDigest Tablets that solved my kitty issue. This probiotic are for dogs but can be given to cats. I gave him one tablet per day. I was really amazed when I first gave him the tablet, thinking he will smell and walked away and was prepared to crack it into small pieces and mix with his wet food, he took it, bit and ate the tablet. :)

I trusted these probiotics tablets are good and he can take it as a daily supplement. His poo is nice and well formed with acceptable smell too. Any one has comments on this?