Probiotics For Cats?

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have my old man Theo and he has been having trouble keeping solid stoles lately. The vet gave me some samples of a probiotic to put on his food. I was thinking it could be possible to get some otc and sprinkle it on his food. Is this possible? any other thoughts for probiotics for cats?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW...there is a lot of information out there for probiotics for cats! I'm giving you the link to my entire google search. If you will go about 3/4 of the way down the page you will find several articles by respected veterinary sources, not just folks selling their brand. But you will also find a LOT of sources for your probiotics as well!

probiotics for cats - Google Search

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use Human probiotics instead of pet specific ones. Human probiotics are available in a higher CFU count and contain multiple strains of bacteria versus the low CF count and few bacteria strains of many pet probitics. Take a look at these for recommended brands:

Probiotics Search - Human Grade and CFUs
Your favorite probiotics
All about probiotics
Probiotic Recommendations?
Probiotics?

This one is really helpful and includes suggested dosages: Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones

It's easiest to mix a probiotic into canned food or something like canned tuna. If you are using only half or less of a capsule at a time, you can carefully put the capsule halves back together to save the rest for the next dose. Set the in use capsule aside in a clearly labeled container. I use a mini plastic storage container and keep it with the cats' bowls.