Probiotic Without Yeast

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I read that yeast-based probiotics can cause issues for some cats. My cat has history of yeast overgrowth. Does anyone know of a non yeast-based product? The ones I've looked at have at least one strain of yeast.

Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only probiotic I'm familiar with that is sometimes classified as yeast is saccharomyces boullardii and it's actually used to treat an overgrowth of yeast (candida) in humans. It's a yeast that acts like a probiotic in the body. I would think that it would be okay to give to a kitty. We give our kitties Proviable DC and one gets s. boullardi to help his tummy and his stools.

How do you know your kitty has an overgrowth of yeast?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I believe L. Acidophilus is one that is not a yeast but I'm not an expert. Hopefully your vet can help with this :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I believe L. Acidophilus is one that is not a yeast but I'm not an expert. Hopefully your vet can help with this :)

Correct. L. Acidophilus is a strain of bacteria. Bacteria and yeast are two different things.

Any probiotic that contains bacteria of the genus Lactobacillus and / or Bifidobacterium would be fine to use. I give my cats Renew Life Ultimate Flora, a brand of probiotics for Humans.

Saccharomyces boullardii
is yeast that is sometimes included with probiotics. Avoid products that contain it if you are concerned that it may affect your cat. I'm not aware of any other yeast that is used in probiotics.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only probiotic I'm familiar with that is sometimes classified as yeast is saccharomyces boullardii and it's actually used to treat an overgrowth of yeast (candida) in humans. It's a yeast that acts like a probiotic in the body. I would think that it would be okay to give to a kitty. We give our kitties Proviable DC and one gets s. boullardi to help his tummy and his stools.

How do you know your kitty has an overgrowth of yeast?
The vet diagnosed overgrowth of yeast in her ears, which led to ear infections.