Probably Paranoid Mom Here/ Cats Ears

carliesykesss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so my cat (orange DSC) has been running around crazy all morning and when he stopped to catch his breath, I noticed his ears were slightly red and kinda hot to the touch. I took him to the vet not even a month ago and his ears were normal. Was it just because he was running around and got excited or heated? Sorry if it’s a dumb question

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Normal:) Running around causes the body to generate heat. The body regulates tenperature by dissapating extra heat through the skin, particularly the extremities such as ears.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The other thing you can check is the belly and underarms to see if they are hot too. That could indicate a true fever. But, if running around is the true cause of the hot ears, it would seem likely to me that both the belly and underarms would be warmer than normal as well. So, wait a while, to see if the ears return to normal, and then check the belly and underarms. If they are still very warm, just keep checking for a day or two and see if there is any change. As LTS3 LTS3 said, it is just likely due to him running around!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carliesykesss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Normal:) Running around causes the body to generate heat. The body regulates tenperature by dissapating extra heat through the skin, particularly the extremities such as ears.
Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carliesykesss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. The other thing you can check is the belly and underarms to see if they are hot too. That could indicate a true fever. But, if running around is the true cause of the hot ears, it would seem likely to me that both the belly and underarms would be warmer than normal as well. So, wait a while, to see if the ears return to normal, and then check the belly and underarms. If they are still very warm, just keep checking for a day or two and see if there is any change. As LTS3 LTS3 said, it is just likely due to him running around!
He woke up from a nap and he’s back to normal with his ears. Thanks!