Probable Panleukopenia Infection

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello cat lovers.
A little back story; exactly 6 months ago my old cat Pablo 4 months old was diagnosed with panleukopenia and passed 1.5 months later. We cleaned the whole house with bleach every corner. During the first week of infection my cat Mia of same age was with him and then removed after signs became severe, and then Mia was brought back home 1 week after Pablo passed, Mia never showed any signs of sickness. 3 days ago I brought in a new Scottish fold kitten male 6 weeks old, today on the 3rd day he threw up 3 times in a span of 3 hours, first time was undigested food no liquid, second time was 30 min later and it was beige thick fluid, 3rd time was 2 hours after and it was yellow think liquid.
Important notices :
_ he is still extremely playful and energetic and showed no signs of depression or exhaustion
_ he eats too much for his size(didn't eat between the 3 throw ups)
_ whenever he felt like throwing up he would go to the litter box
_ no diarrhea
_ Mia has been with him since the day he was introduced here and she shows no signs of sickness
_ it is extremely hot and we have had the AC on during which he would like to sleep on the cold floor behind the couch sometimes

I really hope little Tommy didn't catch panleukopenia/distemper like my deceased Pablo.. It would break my heart.

What are your thoughts guys?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was Tommy vaccinated for distemper? I recall you previously said Mia was vaccinated. If they both have been vaccinated, the odds of either them contracting distemper is next-to-none.

If you haven't had Tommy vaccinated for distemper, then I would highly recommend that you talk to the vet about doing so and if Tommy should be tested first before administering the vaccination. Blood work and a fecal test would probably be done to check. And, if Tommy hasn't been thoroughly checked over by a vet, tested for various diseases, and vaccinated as applicable, I would be getting all of this done very soon. This is a very young kitten and he is susceptible to all kinds of illnesses/diseases just by very virtue of the fact that his immune system isn't fully developed.

From another perspective, if you are feeding him different food than what he was given before you got him that could have upset his stomach. You might find out what he was eating before and give him that food for now. You can gradually change his food over to what you want to feed him - a little new food with lots of the 'old' food, then more new and less old, etc. etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Was Tommy vaccinated for distemper? I recall you previously said Mia was vaccinated. If they both have been vaccinated, the odds of either them contracting distemper is next-to-none.

If you haven't had Tommy vaccinated for distemper, then I would highly recommend that you talk to the vet about doing so and if Tommy should be tested first before administering the vaccination. Blood work and a fecal test would probably be done to check. And, if Tommy hasn't been thoroughly checked over by a vet, tested for various diseases, and vaccinated as applicable, I would be getting all of this done very soon. This is a very young kitten and he is susceptible to all kinds of illnesses/diseases just by very virtue of the fact that his immune system isn't fully developed.

From another perspective, if you are feeding him different food than what he was given before you got him that could have upset his stomach. You might find out what he was eating before and give him that food for now. You can gradually change his food over to what you want to feed him - a little new food with lots of the 'old' food, then more new and less old, etc. etc.
Hello FeesByOwner! Tommy isn't of age of vaccination yet. Not until he is 8 weeks old as advised by his doctor. The vomiting has stopped and he hasn't vomited for 18 hours and is eating a lot and is very playful, which is not common in distemper. Maybe he had a common cold from the AC? His vet couldn't diagnose him because there were no signs of sickness at all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, maybe new food that he had to adjust to - that and just being in a new place? I doubt a cold, because it would likely take longer than a couple of days to disappear. Colds can be scary in kittens, so I am glad to hear that there is no other signs of any kind of illness.

I was just worried given I remember very well about Pablo. If nothing else shows up, you should be OK.

Keeping my fingers crossed until his vaccination time!!

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, maybe new food that he had to adjust to - that and just being in a new place? I doubt a cold, because it would likely take longer than a couple of days to disappear. Colds can be scary in kittens, so I am glad to hear that there is no other signs of any kind of illness.

I was just worried given I remember very well about Pablo. If nothing else shows up, you should be OK.

Keeping my fingers crossed until his vaccination time!!
Thank you so much for being there since Pablo. I really appreciate your effort in this.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens need to eat a lot, but maybe he was eating just a bit too much too fast, and his stomach backed up on him a few times. Even though he's spunky and happy, a stay at the animal control, a food change, a home change, and all that at a tiny age of 6 weeks is a lot for them to handle, it might have just been your average stomach upset with young, somewhat still immature immune system fighting to keep up. Fingers crossed it's nothing more :wave3:

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens need to eat a lot, but maybe he was eating just a bit too much too fast, and his stomach backed up on him a few times. Even though he's spunky and happy, a stay at the animal control, a food change, a home change, and all that at a tiny age of 6 weeks is a lot for them to handle, it might have just been your average stomach upset with young, somewhat still immature immune system fighting to keep up. Fingers crossed it's nothing more :wave3:
Hello Bruce!
Thank you for taking the time to reply to this.
We didn't not leave Tommy at the clinic since the doctor said it's not that vital, and a stay at the clinic here might be a bit price (50$ a night). However it's been 24 hours no vommitting and Tommy has never been this playful, and he is eating normal maybe a notch less than before.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Bruce!
Thank you for taking the time to reply to this.
We didn't not leave Tommy at the clinic since the doctor said it's not that vital, and a stay at the clinic here might be a bit price (50$ a night). However it's been 24 hours no vommitting and Tommy has never been this playful, and he is eating normal maybe a notch less than before.
Good! I'm glad he wasn't in immediate crisis or anything like that.
I honestly wonder if he was just over eating and eating too fast then being too active. Sometimes those youngsters learn these things the hard way ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello cat lovers.
A little back story; exactly 6 months ago my old cat Pablo 4 months old was diagnosed with panleukopenia and passed 1.5 months later. We cleaned the whole house with bleach every corner. During the first week of infection my cat Mia of same age was with him and then removed after signs became severe, and then Mia was brought back home 1 week after Pablo passed, Mia never showed any signs of sickness. 3 days ago I brought in a new Scottish fold kitten male 6 weeks old, today on the 3rd day he threw up 3 times in a span of 3 hours, first time was undigested food no liquid, second time was 30 min later and it was beige thick fluid, 3rd time was 2 hours after and it was yellow think liquid.
Important notices :
_ he is still extremely playful and energetic and showed no signs of depression or exhaustion
_ he eats too much for his size(didn't eat between the 3 throw ups)
_ whenever he felt like throwing up he would go to the litter box
_ no diarrhea
_ Mia has been with him since the day he was introduced here and she shows no signs of sickness
_ it is extremely hot and we have had the AC on during which he would like to sleep on the cold floor behind the couch sometimes

I really hope little Tommy didn't catch panleukopenia/distemper like my deceased Pablo.. It would break my heart.

What are your thoughts guys?
VET. NOW.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only a blood test can help ID distemper. I would get the beginning vaccination ASAP as advised by your vet, as only vaccinations keep this ugly, horrible disease at bay. As long as he is eating/drinking/using the litterbox and being active, he should be OK. One of the first signs is becoming lethargic and refusing food and drink. I'll pray taht everything is OK, please keep us posted!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick reminder that if the vomiting comes back, preventing dehydration is important! Unflavored pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water is what my vet recommends although there are now commercially prepared feline electrolyte replacers; www.kitten rescue. com has a recipe to use in a pinch.
You could also ask the vet about using probiotics such as FortiFlora or Bene-Bac plus to help his gut flora and immune system.
And here at TCS, we LOVE pictures *hint,hint* :camera: