Pro Plan Vs Blue Wilderness

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have been feeding 2 male indoor 1 year olds Canned Friskies and Purina Cat Chow Naturals dry since birth. They love and prefer the dry kibble. As apparently many cats do they lick the gravy and nibble the canned food.
After a recent trip to the vet I asked her advice and should I try a better quality canned food.
She recommended Pro Plan dry and wet. I was thinking about Blue Wilderness indoor Chicken dry, and various flavors of wet.
Reading on the internet reviews are all over the place, some love and hate both.
Thanks for any suggestions.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not a believer in either tbh. There’s so much junk in proplan and vets are often paid to suggest it to customer and blue wilderness is hit or miss for me. Pea and pea protein is mainly what the food seems to be based on and when you go out of the way and buy say the red meat formula that’s more expensive and weighs less than the regular chicken. Chicken is still the first ingredient in it and beef is just someone down the list. It’s kind silly. I’d recommend as far as canned go to try whole earth farms, nature’s recipe, merrick, soulistic, purina muse, or purina naturals. I’m not sure if you’re on a budget or not but wellness, natures variety, and tiki cat are my favorite canned foods to feed but they’re expensive
Dry food that isn’t so expensive but good would be natures recipe, whole earth farms. Top quality would be wellness again and natures variety, tiki, etc. I know not everyone can afford the best but with anything just try to stay grain free and try to have meat as first two to three ingredients.

Last edited:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also don't think that either of those foods are particularly good.

Grain free is better than grain but the thing about grain free foods is they're usually loaded with potatoes and peas which are cheap sources of protein and aren't that great for a cat's digestive system.

I would also look out for gums (guar gum, xanthum gum, cassia gum) and especially carrageenan.

Brands that avoid these things and that are mainly meat-based proteins are:

Nature's Variey Instinct original
Rawz
Ziwi Peak
Tiki cat
Weruva
Nature's logic
Hounds and gatos

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should also mention that switching to a canned food that is mainly based on meat proteins sometimes makes the difference for cats who won't eat canned. For a lot of canned foods, especially the more popular brands, most of the protein is coming from grains and vegetables. Cats are carnivores. Try a brand that uses more than 90% meat protein in their food (e.g. Instinct or Rawz) and you may see your cats get more excited about their wet food.