Prissy bringing me food?!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ever since she has her kittens when she was about 2 years old (I was only like 14, so I had no control over it) Prissy has been a sensitive, caring nurturing kitty. She started making this loud, "Rowr rowr" noise when she had food, or toys, or wanted to call her kittens to her.

This was normal and pretty cool, actually. Everytime I foster kittens, Prissy will do her "mommy" call with a toy (or often, one of my scrunchies) and when the kittens come to her, she shows them how to kill the toy (or scrunchie).

Lately, however, Prissy is doing this loud, plaintive mommy call and bringing me mouthfuls of her dry food. Why? Is she trying to share with me? Comfort me? Complain to me?

I'm eating less and losing weight-- is prissy taking note of this and trying to feed me? Is she telling me she needs more kittens around? I'm stressed out from packing and getting ready to move -- is she picking up on that?

Ginger is recovering well from her trauma, at least physically, but Prissy is still bringing snacks to her too. But it's almost always ME that she's bringing the food to.

She doesn't really seem to be in any distress, and I always love on her when she's doing that cry (since she also does it when she's bored or wants to play or is looking for me).

I just want some insight into why she's suddenly going into mommy mode and bringing me food.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dnt believe this is a mommy call at all my male Harley does this with all his toys and Pepper the female who has never had babies does it as well. Peppers momma always does this when she brings me her kill-she is outdoor only. I believe its just an announcement of what is being brought, an inside cats only "kill" is dry food or a toy. So she is bringing u her gift- thank her and put it back in the bowl when she isn't looking. Perhaps get a laser toy or something she can hunt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Prissy never did this call until after she had kittens, and then only when the kittens hit about 3 or 4 weeks and she started trying to teach them to hunt, which is why I call it a mommy call. Before now, she only did it when I had kittens in the house. If there were adults, she wouldn't make this call.

You're right though. She does it when she has a "kill" of some sort, or is looking for a kill. But there are no kittens in the home now, and she's bringing it specifically to me. I'm just trying to figure out WHY she's doing this now.

I've already got Feliway going for Ginger kitty, so I'm not sure what else I could do to help Prissy relax. I know I'm stressed to high heaven right now. Could she be picking up on that and trying to help me by bringing me "comfort food"?

Prissy already has a laser light toy, and trust me, Hubby is more than happy to play with her with it. She goes after it like a young kitten, much more ferociously and energetically than any of the other, younger cats. I'll try thanking her more often. Lately all I've been doing is checking her to make sure she's ok, and asking her what's wrong.

There is entirely too much worry in this house! But not a thing to be done about it. --sigh -- Thanks for your insight.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is a loving mom who is very aware of her surroundings and the ones she loves. She probably is picking up on your stress and reacting the instinctual mother way. I'm sure if she could get her hands on a mouse she would bring it to you instead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No mice... yet. But plenty of grasshoppers, crickets, butterflies, cicadas, etc.

The cicada was fun... I woke up to a loud buzzing sound at the end of my bed and 4 cats clustered around a very irritated bug...
Did I mention that this was at 5 am? Prissy must have been waiting to dart out when Cody left for PT, and then brought it back inside with her when he came back to change.

Sometimes I wish she didn't love me QUITE so much. I'm getting pretty tired of picking pieces of kibble up off of the floor. Lol.

this is a cicada, by the way: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2007/07/0...and-esme-1.jpg

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eeks
! A cicada! My first experience close up with a cicada was in Kansas and it flew in the house screaming! I was terrified, also screamed atleast once! It was huge and literally screaming like a person!
Lots of props to her for taking down a cicada!