princess progress after 3 bouts of Clavamox

princess123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello allWell finally Princess finished her Clavamox on Monday morning she ate ok and drank and pooped and peed Tuesday am approx 6.30Am she refused food Took a sniff walked away i coaxed her at approx 8.45am and she had a little.She also had some food in the PM not muchlast nite for the 1st time in 2 months she came and laid on me in the bed for a while and laid with her daddy for a while but she also insist on sleeping in the corner of the bathroom now (something new)This morning she drank a lot then 5 mins later all the water came back up.She did go back for more and that stayed but again she refused food. I tried at 7.35am 20 g wet food and she had 1/2. Is this normal? The Vet said nothing to worry about for nowRight now she is sleeping. Any one knows how soon they come back to normal ?Please help I am pulling my hair out and lots of un eaten cans in the recycling

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 rounds of antibiotics probably messed with her GI system since they kill all bacteria (even the good ones):. I would give her a good probiotic to help with that. I recommend these two: and
I would also try adding tasty toppers to tempt her to eat: tuna water, freeze-dried meat and organs, parmesan cheese, whatever she likes. Maybe add extra water and blend it up to make it easier to eat in case her mouth is still sore from the surgery?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i talked to the vet  about it and they said they can order in forti flora but i did not read any thing good about this

thank you for your response i will look in to this

do you know how long after extraction she can go on the hills td formula

right  now she is on soft food

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fortiflora is not a very good probiotic being single strain and having animal digest as its first ingredient.

I am not a fan of any of the Hill's products. The below are the ingredients of the t/d dry:
Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose 10% (source of fiber), Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Calcium Sulfate, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, DL-Methionine, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphophate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), preserved with BHT and BHA, Calcium Carbonate, Iodized Salt, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Beta-Carotene.
Those are just not good ingredients for a feline who is an obligate carnivore.  I believe your cat had FORLs, right? If so, nothing you can do at home is going to help prevent them because FORLs are not caused by a bacterial problem. While regular dental care is important for maintaining good oral health overall, I have not seen any research to support t/d being helpful for the prevention of FORLs.

princess123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We bought the 10 lb bag for 53.00$ CAD and we have her on this for a while now

we do alternate and give soft food but now she is not touching the TD formula at all

Actually she almost seems finick with her food

I have tried even the nasty ones like Friskies and the good ones like well ness and the sub par  ones like Fancy feast

she seems to only like  the fancy feast turkey & Giblet

In the  last 2 months we have thrown out many many  partially empty cans as she refused them

OMG it is getting on me

There are nights I do not sleep and then there are the very early morning

She is drinking, pooping and peeing and last nigt came on me  in bed for the first time  for a while

She always looks at me suspiciously when I am approaching could be because I hovered when she was ill or she expects the clavamox which she hated to take

Any suggestions on a good brand of wet food and kibbbles that she may like

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so hard when you have a sick pet. I totally sympathize with you. The worrying is very draining, but remember that cats can pick up on your emotions so while it is very hard, try to be calm and relaxed around her.

As for food, it's really so difficult to guess at what a specific cat will like. The Fancy Feast pates are actually good value: low in carbs, high animal protein, no carrageenan. If she likes the Turkey & Giblets flavor, I would keep trying the other flavors. I like to refer to this chart when looking for good canned foods http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf.

princess123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh ok I had read somewhere that Fancy Feast was not good

we had her on this brand for many years and she did like the salmon but now hates it

she loved the tuna now hates it she tolerates the chicken fest she use to gobble liver and chicken now no more

by the way she resembles your photo  a lot

I want to thank you for all the advice Not everyone understands. They all think I am driving myself crazy

she is sleeping again woke up licked her self and back to bed i hope she eats tonight. is there any chance of infection in the gum after the clavamox? I am just paranoid because teh 1st time they extracted 2 teeth they missed the other 3 and she suffered through meds, ultrasound, 2 sets  of blood work  she hated going therer

I have not taken her for a check up yet maybe next week when she is calmer https://statich.thecatsite.com/a/a7/a7b3fc66_Princess09-23-2013basking.zip  

thanks for the link also

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vets did do a full mouth x-ray this time right? If so, they really should have caught all teeth that needed to come out. Just be aware that FORLs is progressive, so there may be others that are fine right now but may need extraction later. I would definitely do yearly x-rays and cleaning of her mouth to stay on top of it.

Cats can get bored with food just like humans, so rotating different brands/flavors is a good idea. Also, it may be possible for brands/flavors to be discontinued or recalled so having a few different ones that she likes is important if that situation should arise.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you seen the new Fancy Feast Classics with cheese?  They are brand new, so they may be hard to find.  They come in chicken with cheese, turkey with cheese and beef with cheese.  Maybe she would like those?  Otherwise, every cat is SO very different in their tastes it really is next to impossible to say what she might like. 

Figures crossed that you get her to eat something soon.  Otherwise, you will need to assist feed her. 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try plain meat baby food or add it to canned food and warm it up a bit to enhance the aroma.