Princess and the Seedlings

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all our house has six cats; Princess, Rose, Ra, Spot, Asia, and Slipper. Last month I used some old egg cartons to start a seedling bed, and recently brought the seedling beds out of the windowless room they were  in (to keep the soil moist and warm) to the dining room table, where they would get sunlight. When I initially did this, I had trouble with Ra biting the heads off my seedlings (not eating them--he would bite and drop), but a different problem emerged--Princess has been laying down right on top of the seedling beds! The seedlings broke and died--and she'd only do it when the sun was shining on them through the window! (They're on the table instead of the windowsill because the cats like to lie on the windowsill to bask in the sun. I thought putting them on the table would protect them.) I don't know if she knows what she's doing, but she stopped lying on the egg cartons when the seedlings finally gave up and died.

I have more seeds. (I always assume a high attrition rate when growing plants, because I'm better at killing them.) When I plant the new seeds--how do I keep her from doing the same thing again?

busbyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm about to plant my seeds for the year. I've just adopted a 10 month old kitten and an 8 year old male. The 10 month kitten will attempt to eat anything. She has already demonstrated a love of my orchids and tulips so, I am in the process of building a cage made of chicken wire to go over the seedling pots. Fine enough mesh she can't get her paw through, tall enough to let the seedlings get to a good height till they are ready for greenhouse or transplanting out. I'm also going to put some cat mint in a pot next to them so she goes for that instead. Any other suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a pot of catmint on the table. I got it when Ra was biting the heads of seedlings. They haven't touched it.