Prince and Nikita reacting to various drinks

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An unconventional post, but I just find it amusing and need to comment on whenever I'm drinking beer or wine, Prince and Nikita have some of the most hilarious reactions. I've seen Prince just dip his entire head into a glass of wine, sniffing it to the point I'm concerned he's about to take a sip, while Nikita...I've held a glass of beer close to her and she just cringes and pulls her head back as if horrified by whatever it is she is smelling. Despite that, Nikita has been known to rub her face on a bottle of beer.

I would never let either of them drink it; but I don't think they would given their reactions. Even Prince, who seems to like sticking his face into a glass of wine moves away as if he just smelled something horrible, he has a similar reaction to Nikita with beer-but not as obvious. He'll just turn his head away while she just keeps moving her head back as if to say "What the hell are you putting in front of my face?"

Of course, once we move to coffee, both of them do the cringe, hop backwards and walk away. It's interesting though, has anyone known a cat to even touch anything aside from water or milk? What is it about coffee, beer, wine, soda, and juice that causes a cat to cringe and turn away almost instantly?

(this post could go in the meow talk thread, I don't know which forum is most appropriate, but behavior seemed right to me)

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With coffee and alcohol I always assumed they recoil and make that funny face because it’s a strong smell and cats have sensitive noses.

My kitten got a lick of a chicken tikka sauce once time while I turned around to get a spoon, I guess he wanted it because it’s cream based but he learned his lesson pretty quickly because it was definitely spicy! I felt bad but it was also pretty funny, he kept going to drink water and then looking confused and cleaning his mouth a bunch because of the spiciness

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh lord, I can only imagine chicken tikka sauce. Indeed that's got to be a strong smell, and taste of course.Prince has never bothered with any kind of food that was human food, Nikita has. Literally, I have cooked a chicken breast and held it in front of them, Prince turned away as if it was beneath him while Nikita gladly partook of it. I blame my grandfather because he likes to hold table scraps down for Nikita, and she will happily eat the food.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy once sniffed my cup of coffee and then started “covering” around it with his paws :) In his language that’s the biggest offense.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Barley once sniffed the steam coming from a hot cup of coffee, looked at me, sniffed one more time, and looked at me again like he was saying, "What is this crap, human?!" He had that very funny face I cannot forget. He always amuses me.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats hate coffee, One of my girls was crazy about it. If I set a cup down she would dip her paw in and then suck the coffee off. I thought it was maybe the creamer that she liked the taste of until I caught her licking coffee grounds off the counter. Coffee isn’t good for cats of course but on occasion when she looked at my cup so longingly I did pour our a few drops for her.

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats frequently smells whatever I'm drinking and though he doesn't always like the smells, he doesn't react strongly. The other two, however, have full-on dry heaves when they make the mistake of sniffing my drinks when I have booze or tea (although we once caught one of those drinking used carpet cleaner water out of a tiny area in the carpet cleaner. *sigh)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My roommate’s cat was crazy for coffee, she’d get close and sniff my breath when I was drinking, and we put coffee beans in toys instead of catnip.

Gohan also loves coffee, and he goes nuts for Tikka Masala (it’s pretty mild so we actually have to be super careful he doesn’t lap some up.). He’s also gone after beer once, normally he ignores it but this one must have been tasty and we had to rush to grab it when we heard the lapping. He has interesting taste ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hilarious, I put a small amount of this Stok cold brew coffee in front of Prince and he spent the longest time sniffing it-so much his nose was touching the drink. I'm not sure if he lapped any up or not because I couldn't see his tongue, but he raised his head up, licked his lip or nose, then walked away. I wasn't about to let him start drinking it fully, but it was hilarious to see that he seemed to actually be considering it.

Though I wonder if he was smelling the protein and that's why he spent so long sniffing it and trying to figure it out. Stok cold coffee that I have is the one that doubles as a protein drink, so there is a high amount of protein in it. Maybe that's what he was trying to figure out.

That's a first for him, usually he won't accept anything that isn't cat food or water. Nikita's the one that my grandfather has unfortunately tempted with human food, therefore she now comes up to me anytime I'm eating with the hope of food that she knows she's not going to get.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always think it's funny that a cat will turn it's nose up at a clean bowl of fresh water, but will go out and horrify me by drinking out of a poopy, feather filled bird bath! Or turn up their nose at expensive cat food but eat spiders and locusts!
Haha, that's exactly Toffee and Fudge! Toffee turned his nose up at a fresh bowl of water I laid out for him but then went and drank the rain water we collect in an old dirty plant pot.