Primordial pouch

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I know about the primordial pouch and my cat seems to have a pronounced one. But I've always seen it described as relating to the stomach, particularly near the hind legs.

But Juno has a lot of extra skin even up at her front legs. It's enough that it almost looks a bit like webbing. Is this an extension of the primordial pouch? Is this common or unusual? I haven't been able to find anything online about it. (She's only 2, so it's not old age, and it's nothing new, so I'm not worried).

20221110_181203.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it's kind of like webbing. My angel Poppycat had that, it even made things a little challenging regarding picking him up so that it didn't get pinched, or stretched too much 💗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's kind of like webbing. My angel Poppycat had that, it even made things a little challenging regarding picking him up so that it didn't get pinched, or stretched too much 💗
I'm so glad to hear that! Juno is my first cat, and I was always puzzled by this armpit-webbing, because I had to no idea cats had that, and I couldn't find anything online taking about it. Is it just some cats or all cats who have this? Or is it just varying degrees and Juno and Poppycat are at the farther end of the spectrum?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats have loose skin that acts like a parachute or wingsuit to slow them down during a fall. Cats have been known to survive falls from incredible heights.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that! Juno is my first cat, and I was always puzzled by this armpit-webbing, because I had to no idea cats had that, and I couldn't find anything online taking about it. Is it just some cats or all cats who have this? Or is it just varying degrees and Juno and Poppycat are at the farther end of the spectrum?
Also if a cat previously had a weight loss regime, they may have extra skin there too.
Like if they started at the smaller end of the spectrum webbing wise and then gained and lost some weight, it might now look like they have more. 🙂