Primal Freeze Dried change in formula

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was going to order a bag from Chewy and I noticed they have listed a new formula for Primal Freeze Dried for cats.   Now wondering what others think of the new forumula.  I notice the new forumula has montmorillonite clay now listed as an ingredient.  

Here's the listing for Turkey on Chewy

Ingredients

Old formula: turkey, turkey necks, turkey hearts, turkey livers, organic collard greens, organic squash, organic celery, cranberries, blueberries, organic pumpkin seeds, organic sunflower seeds, minerals (zinc sulfate, copper carbonate, sodium selenite), almonds, organic apple cider vinegar, sardine oil, taurine, organic quinoa sprout powder, dried organic kelp, organic cilantro, organic coconut oil, cod liver oil, organic ginger, natural vitamin E, mixed tocopherols (natural preservative)

New formula: turkey, turkey necks, turkey hearts, turkey livers, organic collard greens, organic squash, organic celery, cranberries, blueberries, organic pumpkin seeds, organic sunflower seeds, montmorillonite clay, organic apple cider vinegar, sardine oil, taurine, organic quinoa sprout powder, dried organic kelp, organic cilantro, organic coconut oil, cod liver oil, organic ginger, vitamin E supplement, mixed tocopherols (natural preservative)

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think the change was super recent (at least not within the last couple of months.) Chewy may just have an old formula listed from awhile ago to cover all their bases.

Ironically, my cats actually both refused to eat the new bag of Primal Turkey FD I purchased, so I thought maybe it was a formula change. I just emailed Primal and the rep said they haven't made any changes to the formula lately. The rep said it may just be a bad bag.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Primal FD, both the old and new formula. I personally don't have an issue with montmorillonite clay, having researched it a bit and also having used (and still using) some Instinct canned food, which also uses MC.

There are a few companies that use MC -- Wysong, NV, Nature's Logic and now Primal.

I don't use Primal much any more primarily because I'm trying to minimize the amount of fruits and veggies in the cats' diet; Rad Cat and occasionally S&C, is what we use but I have no issue or fears re: MC.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't think the change was super recent (at least not within the last couple of months.)

<snip!>

I just emailed Primal and the rep said they haven't made any changes to the formula lately.
I'd noticed the clay on the label some time ago (long enough ago that I don't remember when it was! maybe a few months ago?) and wondered about a formula change. Thankfully our cats didn't notice. And thankfully I think I'm okay with the clay. The cats eat Primal's chicken/salmon, turkey, and pork twice a day: it's the biggest component of their diet, they just love the stuff!