Prey-predator Dynamic Between Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is definitely a good point. Any kind of noise or body language I use to tell Padfoot off would almost certainly scare Brook 10x more than it would bother him.

Brook does not like to be held, period. She's very affectionate and loving, but she feels very insecure and trapped when you hold her. If I held her and Padfoot was around, I would probably lose some skin.

And you're absolutely right that the training sessions couldn't happen right away. First they need to get really good at tareting, which is take time. Luckily they are both pretty food motivated, so that helps. Probably the first time, I will put a baby gate between them and do a short session that way. Eventually we might move up to them being in the same room. Perhaps starting with Brook on the cat tree and Padfoot on the ground, once she is comfortable with that.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
You could perhaps look into finding some tasty treats that contain soothing l-tryptophan on Amazon (other venders are available). I've checked and there are some cat/dog treats on the US site. Check with your vet about it first though in case it interacts with their medicines (I'm thinking your dog might like some too).

A door wedge might come in handy for their training, so that they can only just about see and smell what's going on in the other room.

165967-003c92f47616a0065a0d7e76312f3599.jpg

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is definitely a good point. Any kind of noise or body language I use to tell Padfoot off would almost certainly scare Brook 10x more than it would bother him.

Brook does not like to be held, period. She's very affectionate and loving, but she feels very insecure and trapped when you hold her. If I held her and Padfoot was around, I would probably lose some skin.

And you're absolutely right that the training sessions couldn't happen right away. First they need to get really good at tareting, which is take time. Luckily they are both pretty food motivated, so that helps. Probably the first time, I will put a baby gate between them and do a short session that way. Eventually we might move up to them being in the same room. Perhaps starting with Brook on the cat tree and Padfoot on the ground, once she is comfortable with that.
I kind of figured. Most cats don't like to be held. For some reason, I ended up with two who like to be carried around the house and one likes me to hold her when she's nervous. Sometimes she's just too tense and won't tolerate it, but after a small skirmish she likes to be held up high for a couple of minutes. It's an advantage, but not necessary.

I think you have a good plan in mind. Just take things slow and don't rush it. I think you'll manage. Even if they don't become friends, they should be able to live together. Training really is great for getting food motivated animals together.